A man was remanded in custody after appearing in Summary Court on Monday, while two young women with him were granted bail with stringent conditions.

Emily Patrick, 19, and Alexandra Stasiuk, 20, were charged in connection with items found in the apartment they shared at Lantern Point. Neither woman had previous convictions.Javier Howell, 24, was charged with possession of an unlicensed Smith & Wesson handgun found in his vehicle on Friday, Oct. 14, and possession with intent to supply cocaine also found in the vehicle.

Crown Counsel Candia James said that Patrick was Howell’s girlfriend.

Ms. James said two 9-millimeter pistols were found in Howell’s vehicle along with four rounds of ammunition. The second pistol has not yet been test-fired, so a charge has not yet been laid, she told Magistrate Angelyn Hernandez. She described the amount of cocaine as “fairly large,” noting that there had not yet been time to get a laboratory certificate for it. Fingerprints were discovered on one of the firearms and the Crown expected a report shortly.

Her objections to bail included the fact that Howell had six previous convictions for failing to surrender to bail, for which he was fined $50 each. She pointed out that the seriousness of the charges meant that this defendant was not entitled to bail under the Bail Law.

Howell, of a Bodden Town address, said he was representing himself; he asked for an electronic monitor and curfew, saying he had a very supportive parent. The magistrate said she was not minded to grant bail at this time, but would leave the matter open. She remanded Howell in custody until Wednesday, Oct. 26.

Attorney Jonathon Hughes spoke on behalf of Patrick. He said she was present when police searched the apartment. One live round of ammunition was found in a laundry basket where clothes had been thrown.

She had no knowledge of any of the illegal items, Mr. Hughes said. She had simply allowed Howell to stay in her apartment and was now terrified by the situation. She had gotten herself inadvertently mixed up in the affairs of her boyfriend.

Patrick had done well in school and hoped to pursue further education in the U.K., the attorney advised. She had lived with her parents until June, but wanted to experience independence and so moved in with Stasiuk. If granted bail, she would move back home with her parents, he told the court.

Ms. James said the case against Stasiuk was slightly different. A clear plastic bag containing 10 rounds of 9mm ammunition was found in the bottom drawer of a bedside table in Stasiuk’s bedroom. There was also a small quantity of ganja.

Attorney Ben Tonner said Stasiuk had answered the front door of her apartment around lunchtime on Friday and it was no exaggeration to say that what happened since had been like entrapment in a nightmare. She knew nothing about the ammunition found in her room and did not put it there.

Mr. Tonner said Howell had been in the apartment many times and she was not always present. Further, there was a key hidden so that the apartment could have been entered by anyone and anyone could have put the ammunition in her room.

He pointed out that police did not go to the property for either woman; they went for Howell after receiving intelligence.

Ms. James noted that further charges were pending because of ganja found in a common area of the apartment. The attorneys indicated they had not had time to take instructions regarding charges relating to drugs or drug utensils.

The magistrate set bail conditions for the two females to include a curfew from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekends. They are to report to a police station daily, surrender travel documents and reside with their parents. A cash bond or surety in the sum of $5,000 each was also required. They are to have no contact with Howell.

Ms. James asked that these defendants be fitted with an electronic monitor, but none was available. The situation is to be reviewed when they return to court on Oct. 26.