Taste of Cayman opens with dinner

Even though the Taste of Cayman and Chili Cook-off were postponed due to rainy weather last weekend, the Opening Dinner at Hemmingway’s deliciously took place without a hitch on Friday night.

Those attending the event were treated to a scrumptious four-course meal prepared by many of Cayman’s top chefs.

A different wine was served with each course, courtesy of Blackbeard’s Rum Company.

The band Footloose provided the musical entertainment.

During the evening, recently retired tourist pioneer and restaurateur Suzy Soto became a Lifetime Achievement Honouree for her contributions to the tourism and culinary industries in the Cayman Islands.

In a short address, Minister of Tourism Charles Clifford recognised the Cayman Islands Culinary Team which had just won silver medals in the Taste of the Caribbean competition earlier in the week in Miami.

Mr. Clifford said the Government was committed to promoting the Cayman Islands as a culinary destination.

‘Events such as this one should be nurtured, and the private sector should explore opportunities with their wholesaler partners to develop and promote packages for this weekend, turning a great weekend of food into a way to encourage visitors to the Cayman Islands,’ he said.

Visiting senior wine editor of Food & Wine magazine Ray Isle said interest in cuisine was ‘much broader than every before’, which led to a 30 per cent increase in the circulation of epicurean magazines.

‘One virtue Cayman has is that it offers cuisine at all levels,’ he said. ‘It has high end dining experiences and local food that is interesting.

‘This is what attracts the food traveller.’

0
0

NO COMMENTS