Setting Tournament records was the standard for the 3rd Annual DHL Rooster Shootout. A record number of anglers, 128, fished from a record number of registered boats, 32, and a Tournament Record Yellowfin Tuna was weighed in on the first day of the tournament, 98# 13 oz caught by lady angler Harriet Ebanks aboard Run Things II captained by Ferris Ebanks.
The awards banquet took place at the Royal Palms with record attendance showing sportsmanship and support to the anglers that won prize money.
Prizes for the DHL Rooster Shootout were as follows:
• Third place Wahoo is 46 lbs. 3 ozs was caught by Lee Foster fishing on Brac Rebel and earns a check for US$1,500.
• Third place Yellow Fin Tuna is 65 lbs 13 ozs was caught by Adroy Ebanks fishing on
• Run Things II, and earns a check for US$1,500.
• Third place Dolphin is 24 lbs 0 ozs was caught by Andrew McCartney fishing on Bird Chaser and earns a check for US$1,500.
• Second place Wahoo is 46 lbs. 6 oz. was caught by Charles Ebanks fishing on Run Things and earns a check for US$3,000
• Second place Yellow Fin Tuna is 90 lbs. 13 oz. was caught by Daniel Stewart fishing on Outcast and earns a check for US$3,000
• Second place Dolphin is 25 lbs. 13 oz. was caught by David Alberga fishing on Miss Nicole and earns a check for US$3,000
• Heaviest Wahoo is 50 lbs 3 oz was caught by Andres Resocuarta fishing on Oh Boy! and earns a check for US$5,000.
• Heaviest Yellow Fin Tuna is 98 lbs 13 oz, setting a Rooster Shootout Tournament Record, was caught by Harriet Ebanks fishing on Run Things II and earns a check for US$5,000.
• Heaviest Dolphin is 32 lbs 10 oz was caught by Jack Hunter fishing on Naut Wukin and earns a check for US$5,000.
The weigh station at the Cayman Islands Yacht Club held great attendance for the three days of the tournament. There were 17 Yellow Fin Tunas, 12 Wahoos, & 5 Dolphin weighed. Spectators could see the new Mercpanga boats courtesy of Scott’s Marine, and enjoy Appleton rum at the bar. If one was unable to make it to the Yacht Club for weigh-in, regular updates were provided on Rooster 101 courtesy of Heinz. In an ‘exciting’ partnership this year, the DHL Rooster Shootout teamed up with Meals on Wheels to raise funds for the progam that provides so many meals to people on the island.
A portion of the proceeds from the tournament will be donated to Meals on Wheels.