Guilty plea in Estella trial

Henry admits abduction, rape, robbery; murder charge stands

Kirkland Henry pleaded guilty
Monday to abducting, robbing and raping Estella Scott-Roberts in 2008.

Henry still faces a trial for the charge
of murder.

His co-accused, Larry Ricketts,
pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Mrs. Scott-Roberts was killed on
the night of 10-11 October, 2008.

Solicitor General Cheryll Richards
then opened the case against both of them on the charge of murder, which must
be dealt with separately. Both men have entered not guilty pleas.

Ms Richards said the Crown’s case
is one of common design – either both accused were principals or one was the
principal while the other was an accessory.

Setting out the background, Ms
Richards said Mrs. Scott-Roberts and friends went to Deckers Restaurant on
Friday, 10 October, to celebrate her birthday. They left around 11pm and she
went to her car, parked between Deckers and Buckingham Square. She was not seen again
by friends or family.

She had been wearing a black dress,
black thick belt and black high heels, a wedding ring, bracelet and other

Her husband, Rayle Roberts, initiated
a search when she did not come home. Around 9am on Saturday, 11 October, a black
shoe was found in the parking lot. The phone company was contacted and as a
result of information received, the search moved to West Bay.

On a mangrove buffer road a
burnt-out vehicle was seen along with what appeared to be the burnt remains of
a person.

Dental records confirmed the person
to be Mrs. Scott-Roberts. Blood taken from the remains showed DNA that matched
DNA from her toothbrush.

Mr. Roberts identified some
contents of the vehicle; her bracelet and wedding ring were also identified.  The vehicle registration number identified it
as hers.

Friends of the deceased went to the
site and found earphones for a Blackberry phone, which Mrs. Scott-Roberts had,
and some birthday confetti.

In their search of the surrounding
area they found duct tape, more confetti, condom wrappers and what appeared to
be a used condom tucked into a wrapper.

Meanwhile, efforts had been made to
use Mrs. Scott-Roberts’ debit card at several locations. Closed circuit TV from
one location showed a male figure attempting to use the card. He was wearing
distinctive clothing, shoes and a

Ms Richards said the main aspects
of the case against Henry included: his DNA and the deceased’s DNA on the used
condom; his recent possession of her cell phone and a laptop; her blood and DNA
on pants found in his house; the contents of a cell phone; his connection and contact with Ricketts.

The case against Ricketts included
his recent possession of the deceased’s debit card; the distinctive clothing seen by the CCTV, a cell phone with
the deceased’s information; his connection
and contact with Henry.

The evidence began with a statement
from Mr. Roberts, read by Crown Counsel Kirsty-Ann Gunn.

Chief Justice Anthony Smellie is
hearing the matter without a jury. Trial was delayed from last week when a counsel
for one of the defendants came off record, but both now have QCs as leading
counsel who are instructed by juniors.

Ms Richards said both Ricketts, 26,
and Henry, 28, are Jamaican nationals who were on work permits. Ricketts’ had
expired and he had been given until 30 October, 2008. Henry had travelled to Jamaica
17-20 October and returned.