Patrick Vieira has hit out at
national boss Raymond Domenech after he missed out on inclusion in France’s
World Cup squad.
The 33-year-old moved to Manchester City in January in an attempt to get the nod from Domenech, but found out on Tuesday that was not the case.
While the World Cup winner respects Domenech’s right to have omitted him, he wishes the
coach had informed him personally that he was not going to a fourth finals.
Vieira told Canal Plus Sport: “Participating in a fourth World Cup
was a very beautiful challenge to me.
“As the national team coach
had sporting criterions, I can accept the decision without any problems.
“However, I didn’t receive any
phone call with him for six months, even if I always had a good relationship
with him, even when he was in trouble.
“Considering my number of caps
(107) and years in the French team, I would have liked more frankness, a phone
“Now I have turned the French
team’s page. I would have preferred him to tell me, ‘You don’t have the right
level anymore, there are young players better than you,.
“Mourinho did it at Inter, and
I accepted it.
“Discovering it at the last
moment, in front of the TV, that tactlessness, lack of class, which is what affected
me the most.
“But that won’t erase all the
beautiful years I spent in blue. Will I finish my career? No. I am sure I won’t
stop my footballing career.”
In a press conference announcing
the squad, Domenech confirmed it had been a very difficult decision to leave
He said: “Patrick Vieira, it
is the most delicate choice. We talked with Pat; we tried to plan for the World
“It has been a wrench. It is a
real moment of emotion. It was difficult considering the whole season.”