Kerran suspect released from bail conditions

Cayman Islands police confirmed Friday that investigators do not have sufficient evidence to charge a suspect arrested last year in connection with the assumed death of a missing nurse.  

As reported earlier in the Caymanian Compass, although no trace of Kerran Baker, 25, has been found, the circumstances surrounding her disappearance and the findings of police investigators led the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service to classify her case as a murder. 

A 35-year-old man, whom the Caymanian Compass is not naming because he has not been charged with a crime, was arrested in November on suspicion of murder in Ms Baker’s case.  

“Following extensive inquiries, this man has now been released from his bail conditions as, at this stage, there is insufficient evidence to proceed to charge,” a Royal Cayman Islands Police Service statement issued Friday read. ”We can confirm that the inquiry into the disappearance of Kerran Baker remains very active.”  

Ms Baker disappeared in late July from her apartment in the Beach Bay area of Grand Cayman. She was last seen alive leaving the Foster’s airport grocery store around 7pm on 30 July. She was reported missing about 24 hours later. 

RCIPS officers leading the search for Ms Baker’s killer visited her family in Jamaica earlier this week and provided her parents, siblings and fiancée with a comprehensive update on the progress of the investigation, police said.  

During the visit, officers also met with officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Jamaica Constabulary Force. 

There has been some criticism from Ms Baker’s family in Jamaica regarding how the RCIPS has handled the investigation into her disappearance. However, officials said Friday that those issues have been resolved.  

“Kerran’s family have been made aware of the development and remain extremely supportive of the RCIPS and the determination of the inquiry team to bring this case to a successful conclusion,” the police statement read.  

 

Ja concerns 

Jamaica’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said earlier this year that it has, since last August, been in constant contact with its counterpart in the Cayman Islands regarding the investigation into the disappearance of Kerran Baker. 

“Through our regular contacts with the Jamaican consulate in Cayman, we have been informed that the police are still investigating the case for hard evidence and that the process is being followed through thoroughly,” said the ministry in a release to the Jamaica Observer. 

The ministry was responding to an Observer article in which Baker’s family made an impassioned plea for the Jamaican government to get involved in the case. According to the family, the Cayman Islands authorities were not forthcoming with information regarding the investigations into Ms Baker’s disappearance. 

“We have not been hearing anything from anybody. We need the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get in touch with the Cayman Government because the case seems like it is dying out,” said Wilmot Anthony, Baker’s stepfather. 

“Understanding the sensitivities involved and the grief of Ms Baker’s family, the Consulate Office in Cayman has advised the Royal Cayman Island Police Service to fully engage with the family, disclosing the details of the case,” said the release from the ministry. 

Ms Baker, who was a licensed practical nurse, disappeared from her apartment on Arrow Drive in Bodden Town on the evening of Saturday, July 30.  

Several major searches have failed to locate Ms Baker, who had lived in the Cayman Islands three years prior to her disappearance.  

Her white Honda Civic car was later found with her car keys and what appeared to be blood smears nearby. Her groceries, which she apparently purchased at the supermarket, were also found in her ransacked apartment. 

 

Read the comments from the previous version of this story by clicking here.

0
0

NO COMMENTS