Deputy Governor says no salary cuts

Speculation about an upcoming salary cut in the Cayman Islands civil service grew so loud on Friday that Deputy Governor Franz Manderson sent out a memo to all government workers denying it. 

Gossip about a 10 per cent cut in pay for civil servants has been swirling since early November in government circles, but the Caymanian Compass has never received any credible confirmation about this actually being proposed by anyone in the government leadership. 

Asked about a proposed pay cut for civil servants in an email from the newspaper Friday, Mr. Manderson responded in one word: “Rubbish!”

Financial Secretary Ken Jefferson also denied the rumours when contacted about them Friday. 

The deputy governor’s memo to civil servants Friday indicated that he had been approached by a number of people reporting rumours of a pending salary cut. 

“I wish to advise that I have no knowledge of any proposal to this effect,” Mr. Manderson wrote. “I have spoken to my Cabinet colleagues and can confirm that no member of Cabinet is aware of such a proposal.” 

Although he noted that human resources costs were being “closely monitored”, Mr. Manderson said the civil service continued to post “significant savings” across core government so far in the budget year. 

“While we cannot and will not be complacent in achieving necessary budgetary savings,” the deputy governor’s memo concluded, “I wish to reiterate that I have no knowledge of any proposal which suggests that the civil service receive a salary cut.” 

 

0
0

2 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.