Public health officials say Cayman has been free of dengue and chikungunya since the start of this year.
According to the Caribbean Public Health Agency, there have been no confirmed local cases of chikungunya or dengue reported in Cayman since the beginning of 2015.
However, health officials continue to monitor suspected cases of the illnesses. Between Feb. 1 and March 7, six suspected cases of chikungunya involving people with no travel history were sent for testing. During that period, local health officials received the results of six other tests – all negative – and are awaiting the results of seven others sent earlier, including one case dating back to last year.
The total number of confirmed chikungunya cases reported in the Cayman Islands is 44, health officials said in a statement released last week.
Despite no new confirmed reports, Acting Medical Officer of Health Dr. Samuel Williams said the local public health surveillance team remains on high alert.
As of March 7, 23,283 confirmed/probable cases of chikungunya have been reported by all CARPHA member states and 11 other Caribbean countries/territories since the beginning of the outbreak in the region last year. The total number of suspected cases is 863,207.