The newest team to be approved by the Cayman Islands Amateur Swimming Association, Seven Mile Swimmers, took home several medals and ribbons and set personal and team best times when they took part in the 2016 Cayman National Championships earlier this month.
Twenty-two SMS swimmers participated, including boys and girls ages 7 to 14.
On the last day of the four-day event, the team’s first unofficial CARIFTA qualifying time was achieved by 12-year-old Jasmine Lambert-Wragg in the 200 meter backstroke.
Dean Wragg, president of Swimming for Cayman, said. “This is a very proud moment for our board members as well as Coach Darren [Mew] and the team. They have worked extremely hard to get to where they are today and we would like to thank everyone, including our sponsors for their support.”
Swimming for Cayman is a not-for-profit entity affiliated with the Seven Mile Swimmers team. Coach Mew, a two-time Olympic finalist and former world No. 2, said he was delighted with the results of his swimmers, adding, “This is just the beginning … there is more to come.”
The youngest swimmers on the SMS team held their own, showing great technique and determination while proud parents cheered from the stands. The SMS girls 9-10 relay team took home the gold in both the 200 medley and 200 free relays.
- Girls age 7-8 medal winners were Abi Anderson, Sofie Dons, Tamsin Dons, Libby Lindley, Teagan Nash and Lea Neverilova.
- Boys age 7-8 medal winners were Ben Coak, Luke Dodson and Jake Fagan.
- Girls age 9–10 medal winners were Harper Barrowman, Seane Curry, Kathryn Lambert-Wragg and Mackenzie Pearson.
- Girls age 11-12 medal winners were Sophie Ackerley, Nazia Jacques and Jasmine Lambert-Wragg.
- Boys age 9-10 medal winners were Amari Reid and Will Sellars.
- On the girls age 13-14 category, SMS member Lisette Williams-Fernandez won a medal, as did Keniine Bush in the boys age 13-14 division. The team had 76 percent personal best times.
In all, the team won four gold medals, 10 silver, 16 bronze and placed fourth 18 times.
For more information on this new team, visit its website at www.sevenmileswimmers.com.