A man who escaped police custody and then turned himself in was remanded in custody after entering several guilty pleas on Monday.

Dorlin Allen Ebanks, also known as Allen Barnett, was accused of escaping police custody on Tuesday, April 17.

Police sent out a notice the next day, seeking the public’s assistance in locating him. They alleged that the encounter had involved Mr. Ebanks brandishing a knife and threatening the police officers, who had recovered a package of cocaine from his person.

Mr. Ebanks, 64, turned himself in at the West Bay Police Station on Thursday night, April 19.

He was brought before Magistrate Valdis Foldats and indicated through attorney John Furniss that he wanted to enter certain pleas after electing Summary Court trial.

All of the charges relate to incidents in West Bay on or before April 17.

He pleaded guilty to consuming cocaine, escaping lawful custody, damaging a pair of handcuffs, and carrying a prohibited weapon, a flick knife.

Charged with threatening to kill one officer and using threatening behavior toward a second officer, Mr. Ebanks pleaded not guilty.

Details alleged were that he had rushed toward one of the officers with a raised knife, saying “I’ll stab you up.” The defendant disagreed. He said the knife was in his waist and “jooked” him, so he pulled it out and it flicked open.

Mr. Ebanks was also charged with possession of cocaine with intent to supply, based on the package officers found on him. Crown counsel Scott Wainwright said no specific weight was yet available, but there was a photograph available indicating the illegal drug to be “a small amount.”

Mr. Ebanks told police he would have shared the cocaine with a lady friend and he indicated how much money he had spent to get the drug.

He pleaded guilty to possession of a small amount of cocaine.

An adjournment was suggested so that an opinion could be obtained as whether the police thought the possession was for sharing with the girlfriend or for general supply.

The defendant had previous previous convictions, Mr. Furniss agreed, but nothing in the past two years. He agreed to another mention on Monday, April 30, and Mr. Ebanks was remanded in custody until that date.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now