Paroled murderer jailed for burglary

The courthouse building in downtown George Town.

A convicted murderer, paroled in 2013 after serving 24 years in prison for killing a female shopkeeper in West Bay, returned to jail Tuesday for breaking into a woman’s home.

Court documents reveal that during the early morning hours of 1 May 2019, a single mother of two was asleep in the bed she shared with her children when she was woken by a noise. Upon realising the intruder was in her bedroom, she sprang into action “to protect her children”.

According to court documents, the woman punched the man, causing him to stumble. She then grabbed him by the shirt collar and slammed him against a bookshelf. As she restrained him against the bookshelf, he grabbed her handbag. The woman then began punching him in the face, stomach and neck.

The man freed himself and tried to make off with her handbag. However, the woman slammed the door on his hand before he could escape, causing him to drop the bag.

Although he made off on foot, police tracked him down eventually. He was identified as Phillip Glennon Ebanks, 54, of West Bay. On 5 Aug., Ebanks pleaded guilty to a single count of burglary in the Summary Court.

On Monday, 4 Nov., Justice Roger Chapple sentenced Ebanks to four years and six months behind bars.

In 2013, Ebanks was freed ‘on licence’ under the Conditional Release Law. He had been convicted for the 1989 shooting death of Una Yates, a West Bay shopkeeper known as ‘Miss Che-Che’.

This is not the first time since his release that Ebanks has been sentenced for burglary. In 2016, he was imprisoned for four years for two 2015 burglaries – both occurring two years after he was released from prison after serving his sentence for murder.

For the newest burglary, Ebanks will be required to serve a minimum of two-thirds of the four-and-a-half-year sentence handed down by Justice Chapple, which means he will be eligible for release in mid-2022.

If you value our service, if you have turned to us in the past few days or weeks for verified, factual updates, if you have watched our live streaming of press conferences or sent an article to a friend... please consider a donation. Quality local journalism was at risk before the coronavirus crisis. It is now deeply threatened. Even a small amount can go a long way to sustaining our mission of informing the public. We need our readers’ financial support now more than ever.