A .357 Magnum and two shotguns have been handed in as the month long ‘Ceasefire’ gun amnesty continues.
The surrendering of the powerful handgun, with ammunition, and the two shotguns brings the total number of weapons so far handed in during November to 12, a police press briefing heard on Monday.
The ‘Ceasefire’ gun buy-back campaign – launched by the Rotary Club of Grand Cayman – has just one more week to run.
And, as club president David Kirkaldy pointed out to the Caymanian Compass on Monday, it could be some time before there is another one.
‘If you have an illegal weapon, you have one week to turn it in, no questions asked. After that you run the risk of falling foul of the full force of the law,’ he said.
Meanwhile, new RCIP Commissioner Stuart Kernohan told the regular monthly police press briefing that for the last few weeks he had been working on strategic issues, looking at a five year plan and at an annual policing plan.
Although it was a five year plan, it would not take that long to do and the annual policing element would allow them to check on how things were progressing, he said.
Asked about the suggestion that closed circuit television and speed cameras could be used here, Mr. Kernohan said the CCTV would probably be used in relation to public order rather than traffic.
Speed cameras would be used for casualty reduction and for stopping speeding rather than being revenue earners, he said.
Whether they were to be used at all had yet to be fully discussed with the government and others, he added.
Deputy Commissioner Anthony Ennis said that, although senior commanders and other departments had now moved out of George Town police station to new offices, the police station was still overcrowded.
One idea being considered, he told the briefing, was that police could also move into the present nearby Licensing Department building, allowing that department to move elsewhere.
Speaking on operational matters, Mr. Kernohan said investigations into the armed robbery at Patrick’s Island remained ongoing and there was still a strong focus on the matter.
Mr. Ennis said Operation Octopus – the clamp down on people with outstanding warrants – had been successful.
Many arrests had been made so far and the message the campaign conveyed was that there could be no disregard for the court’s authority, he said.
And the fact that Operation Octopus continued to spread its tentacles through Cayman was highlighted later on Monday.
A press release revealed that over the weekend there were another 11 arrests taking the total for the operation thus far to nearly 60.
‘We will continue to tackle criminality at every level and will continue with this operation until further notice,’ said Commissioner Mr. Kernohan.
‘If you have a warrant outstanding on you, give yourself up before we come looking for you,’ he added.
The RCIP is urging anyone who has outstanding warrants against them, or who believes they may be wanted, to contact their local police station.