Part-time Cayman resident Raymond Frank Creed has been found guilty of four charges of money-laundering.
The jury returned unanimous verdicts on Wednesday afternoon after beginning their deliberations the previous day.
Creed was found guilty on two counts of assisting convicted credit card fraudster Kenneth Taves to retain the benefit of his criminal conduct. He was also found guilty on two counts of concealing or transferring proceeds of Taves’ criminal conduct.
The offences took place between August 1998 and April 1999.
According to the evidence, Creed and Taves had known each other since the early 1980s when they were neighbours in Cayman Kai.
An essential ingredient that the Crown had to prove was that Creed knew or suspected that Taves had engaged in criminal conduct or had benefited from it.
After the verdict Defence Attorney Steve McField asked Chief Justice Anthony Smellie to postpone sentencing and allow Creed to remain on bail until then.
Solicitor General Cheryll Richards agreed with the first request, but expressed concern about bail.
She acknowledged Creed had been coming to Cayman for years. But she pointed out that the warrant for his arrest was issued in June 1999 and he did not return to the island again until November 2004. The trial began 20 March.
Mr. McField said Creed was following the advice of previous attorneys. But he wanted to get this matter cleared up and that was the reason he came back on his own.
Further, Mr. McField explained, the defendant had been scheduled for some time to go into hospital on 24 April for knee surgery.
The Chief Justice said he was mindful that the defendant was not well and was over 70 years old.
After extensive discussion, he allowed Creed’s bail to continue, but with new conditions. One was that, until the defendant entered the hospital as a patient, he must reside in George Town rather than at his home in North Side so that police could more easily make random checks on him.
The Chief Justice took a brief adjournment so that accommodations could be arranged. Sentencing was then set for Friday, 28 April.
The jury deliberated for four hours on Tuesday and another four hours on Wednesday before sending a note to the judge to say that verdicts had been reached.
Around 2.15pm court resumed and the jury foreman was asked if verdicts had been reached on which all jurors agreed. She said no; on the first charge the split was 9-2.
The Chief Justice said that since they had been deliberating for eight hours at that point, the law allowed him to accept a majority verdict.
He asked if they thought they could reach such a verdict if they continued deliberations. Jurors indicated yes and returned to the jury room.
Court resumed at 3.18pm, at which time the foreman indicated that all verdicts were unanimous. She then answered ‘Guilty’ as each charge was read.