Police describe scene of shootings

Police officers of the Armed Response Unit were the first to arrive at the scene when two brothers were fatally shot in East End last November.

The man charged with the murder of Brenard Scott and Renold Pearson is Trevino Tennson Bodden, who has pleaded not guilty. The eight women and four men forming the Grand Court jury began hearing evidence Monday a week ago.

The shootings took place in an area of Fiddlers Way, which is a dead-end street that runs parallel to Sea View Road.

The first officer of the Armed Response Unit told the court that he and his partner were on Eastern Avenue in George Town on the night of 1-2 November, 2006. At about 12.20am they received a call to go to East End. They were armed with sidearms at the time and stopped at the Bodden Town Police Station to get MP5s. They arrived at Welcome Way, which links Sea View Road and Fiddlers Way, at 12.45am. The ambulance was there, awaiting their arrival.

Justice Alexander Henderson put a question to the officer. So when shots are fired, an ambulance won’t go in until the Armed Response Unit gets there? The officer said that was correct, as far as he was aware.

The officer said the lapse of time from the first call to his arrival was 25 minutes. He explained the job of the Armed Response Unit as first responders is to identify, locate and contain the threat.

They exited their vehicle and saw a man lying on the ground who he knew to be Brenard Scott, also known as Chicken Bone. He could see bullet holes. His partner, who was an experienced firearms medic, checked Brenard’s condition.

Quick search

Meanwhile, he and officers from the other Armed Response Unit conducted a rapid search.

A large group of people pointed to the house where the second shooting victim was lying.

As the officer got to the door, he saw a man just inside the door, lying on the floor and wrapped in a blanket. He was breathing, but with difficulty. The officer checked the man’s pulse and found it to be very faint. He continued searching the house and found only two females, crying. He called 911 for an ambulance and estimated the paramedics were there within 30 to 40 seconds.

This officer’s partner submitted a statement that was read to the jury by Solicitor General Cheryll Richards. This officer said he and his partner were one of two armed patrols in Grand Cayman. After receiving the call, they arrived in Bodden Town at 12.31am and met the other Armed Response Unit. The Inspector in charge at Bodden Town informed them that unarmed officers and paramedics were awaiting their arrival in order to make the area safe.

At the scene, he immediately went to Brenard Scott. He saw no signs of life, but commenced CPR until the paramedics arrived three or four minutes later. He then assisted other officers.

The East End officer’s statement was read. He was on patrol when he received a call from the Bodden Town station that there had been an anonymous call about gunshots. He started to make a check of the area, then received a call from 911 that two people had been shot. When he and the medical unit were summoned by the Uniformed Support Group, he assisted with cordoning off the area and preventing anyone from entering the scene.


The officer from North Side also attended and met others at the rendezvous point. After the Armed Response Unit arrived, he was instructed to speak with possible witnesses at the scene.

A paramedic said he arrived at about 12.46am and found Brenard Scott lying in the roadway with multiple gunshot wounds. He was not breathing, had no pulse and his heart was not beating.

The paramedic said he saw Roy Renold Pearson inside a residence near the doorway. He was conscious, alert and oriented and had gunshot injuries. He received treatment on route to and on arrival at George Town Hospital.

A scene-of-crime officer told the court that she took photographs at the location. She also performed a gunshot residue kit on the hands of Brenard Scott. She also collected shell casings and a bullet.

Other officers gave evidence of their attendance at the scene and their duties. Brenard’s body was removed by Churchill’s Funeral Home at 4.10am.

Meanwhile, Detective Oremule met a doctor at George Town Hospital who told him that Renold Pearson was in the operating theatre. At 4.18am, the surgeon came out and told him that Mr. Pearson had received critical major injuries. Mr. Oremule was unable to speak with Mr. Pearson because of his condition. At 5.45am, he was informed that Mr. Pearson had died.

Taking evidence

Inspector Gerald Joseph told the court that he attended the hospital at 1.50am and used a gun shot residue kit on the hands of Mr. Pearson and received his clothing. He then went to East End to assist the scene-of-crime officer there.

At 9.30am Mr. Joseph received a request to photograph and examine Trevino Bodden. The jury received copies of the photographs. Mr. Joseph also took swabs of Trevino’s injuries, including his knuckles, elbow, right temple and right ear. He also took swabs of his fingernails. Another officer administered the Gun Shot Residue kit.

Government pathologist Dr. John Heidingsfelder told the court he performed autopsies on both Brenard Scott and Renold Pearson. He provided a diagram of Brenard’s five gun shot wounds, showing the bullet tracks through the body. He said for Brenard the cause of death was blood accumulation in the chest cavity and in the abdominal cavity due to lacerations of the lung, heart, liver and aorta due to multiple gunshot wounds.

For Renold, the cause of death was loss of blood pressure due to the accumulation of blood within the abdominal cavity due to lacerations of the liver, intestine, stomach, pancreas and gall bladder due to gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The jury has also heard evidence from a DNA expert and an expert on gunshot residue.

The Crown was expected to close its case Tuesday.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now