English football roundup

Manchester City 1, Arsenal 3 (1-2)

Bacary Sagna ran into the box and crossed to Emmanuel Adebayor, whose shot was partly deflected by City defender Micah Richards past goalkeeper Joe Hart in the 21st minute. Adebayor set up the second goal in the 26th, beating two City defenders in the air to head a left-wing cross down to Eduardo da Silva, who appeared to be offside when he turned to shoot home from six meters. City hit back two minutes later when Arsenal left back Gael Clichy lost the ball to Vedran Corluka, who laid the ball back for Gelson Fernandes to slide it home inside the area. Adebayor’s second goal two minutes from the end came when Alexandre Hleb and Cesc Fabregas exchanged passes on an Arsenal breakaway, and the striker arrived unmarked to drive the ball in from 13 meters.

Tottenham 1, Manchester United 1 (1-0)

Dimitar Berbatov gave Spurs the lead in the 21st minute when Jermaine Jenas broke out of defense and passed to Aaron Lennon. The winger’s cross was parried by goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar but Berbatov netted from close range. In late United pressure near the end, Carlos Tevez equalized in the 90th minute when he forced the ball home while pressurizing Spurs defender Michael Dawson on the goal line.

Reading 0, Bolton 2 (0-1)

Royals goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann saved a penalty in the 23rd minute from Matt Taylor after Marek Matejovsky tripped Gretar Steinsson. But Hahnemann was beaten in the 33rd when Kevin Davies won the ball in the air from a clearance from Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen and Kevin Nolan fired home. Heidar Helguson added the second goal in the 58th when he fired home the rebound after Hahnemann had blocked Taylor’s shot.

Portsmouth 1, Chelsea 1 (0-0)

Nicolas Anelka gave the visitor the lead in the 55th minute at Fratton Park when Florent Malouda went on a breakaway and his cross was set up for the striker by Joe Cole. Nine minutes later, Milan Baros, on loan from Lyon, flicked on a clearance by goalkeeper David James to Jermain Defoe who celebrated his debut with an equalizer.

Wigan 1, West Ham 0 (1-0)

Kevin Kilbane, a winger converted to a left-side defender, headed the only goal of the game deep into first half injury time from a long ball by Ryan Taylor. Michael Brown should have added a second early in the second half but his shot was blocked by the legs of Hammers goalkeeper Robert Green.

Birmingham 1, Derby 1 (0-0)

Sebastian Larsson gave the Blues the lead in the 68th when he met a cross from David Murphy and fired into the roof of the net. Only a minute remained when Emanuel Villa scored his first goal since his transfer window move from Mexican club UAG Techies when he headed home a cross from Dean Leacock..

Blackburn 0, Everton 0

Andy Johnson had a goal disallowed for offside seven minutes from the end. James Vaughan set up the chance, beating Rovers goalkeeper Brad Friedel to a through ball and laying off a pass to the striker who appeared onside to shoot home.

Liverpool 3, Sunderland 0 (0-0)

Peter Crouch headed Liverpool ahead in the 55th minute from a cross by Jamie Carragher and Fernando Torres added a second in the 69th from Crouch’s flick. After Sunderland was denied a penalty for Carragher’s hand ball, Liverpool was awarded a spot kick a minute from the end when Nyron Nosworthy fouled Jermaine Pennant and Steven Gerrard added the third.