Bail denied for Jason Hinds

Acting Magistrate Valdis Foldats denied a bail application made for Jason Ryan Hinds on Tuesday.

Hinds is charged with being an accessory after the fact to the murder of Brian Adrian Rankine on or around 16 May.

Senior Crown Counsel Trevor Ward objected to bail because of the nature and seriousness of the offence and concern that Hinds would not surrender to custody. Mr. Ward said Hinds had no community ties other than his job – no relatives and no dependents here.

Hinds is a Jamaican national here on work permit since 2005. His permit expires in July 2009, Mr. Ward told the court.

Allegations against Hinds are that he was present at the time of the murder and thereafter assisted in transporting the perpetrator from the scene and disposing of items of evidence.

Defence Attorney Edward Renvoize said Hinds, 26, was employed as a plumber and has been in Cayman since 2005 on a work permit. He has no previous convictions and there was no basis for asserting that he would leave the island.

Any concern in that regard could be met with strict conditions, including residence and daily reporting, Mr. Renvoize suggested.

The magistrate asked if Hinds could provide a local surety – someone who would sign for his bail. Mr. Renvoize said he did not have a surety in mind.

After denying bail, the magistrate set the next mention date for 26 June. The three-week adjournment, Mr. Ward, indicated, was reasonable time for the Crown to get all the papers together and typed for service to the Defence.

Once Mr. Renvoize has the papers, a date can be set for preliminary inquiry. The charge is one that must be dealt with in Grand Court.

William David Martinez McLaughlin, 31, has been charged with the murder of Brian Rankine. He appeared in Summary Court last week Wednesday and was scheduled for mention again on 4 June. Defence Attorney Keith Collins said his client denied the charge.

0
0

NO COMMENTS