Gaelic reaches end

The Digicel Cayman Islands Gaelic Football League was concluded last weekend ending one of the most competitive seasons on record.

With one eye on the finals tomorrow, the teams were vying for league bragging rights and favorable semi-final draws.


Gaelic football finals tomorrow at the rugby club.
Photo: Ron Shillingford

In the women’s competition, with the first place already confirmed last week, Na Piarsaigh went down 2-4 in a closely fought encounter to Buffers Alley – Joan Murphy with the two decisive points.

Oliver Plunketts started the day in third position with an outside chance of taking over from Buffers Alley in second.

In their first encounter, they defeated Sarsfields 7-3 with all of the points coming from Laura Fitzgerald.

They were again victorious in their second game against Buffers Alley with Antonette Mellaneo determinedly and firmly punching a goal into the net from play and Fitzgerald picking up another four points in their 8-3 win.

Sarsfields had a walk over on the last game as Na Piarsaigh were unable to field sufficient numbers.

With three of the four men’s teams still in contention for the league title, this proved to be an exciting end to the season.

In the first game, the Wolfe Tones defeated the Cabra Gaels 10-2 with three points apiece coming from Mick Kehoe and Denis Rowe.

It was up to Gabriels to keep the pressure on in the second half and they did not disappoint running in with a 10-3 victory against the Western Gaels. Richard Marian was the top scorer with two points.

The final round saw first the Wolfe Tones taking on the Western Gaels with the former needing a win to keep them in contention for first place.

The game began brightly despite the wet conditions and the two teams were level at half time.

Without their talismanic leader James McElvanna and with key players missing, the Western Gaels showed great skill and determination after the break to run in as 8-3 winners. Johnny Moriarty top scored with four points.

That made the final game a winner-take-all encounter between the Cabra Gaels and Gabriels.

The Gaels could not match the depth of the Gabriels who clearly benefited from their pre-match training session and full squad turnout.

The game ended 11-5 to the Gabriels with points coming from Keith Nicholson (4), Scott Brittain (3), Colm Moynihan (3) and Shane Gallery.

After the game Gabriels’ victorious captain Shane Gallery said: ‘We are delighted to have won the league, but as everyone knows – it is the winners of the finals that will be remembered.’

Whilst the winners of the league each received a prize, the real focus is on the 2008 Digicel Finals Day at the Rugby Club.

The draws for the semis were determined by each team’s league finish and with every side capable of winning on the day it proves to be a memorable day for Gaelic Football in the Cayman Islands.

The first game begins at 2pm with Na Piarsaigh taking on Sarsfields. There will be a BBQ from 1:30pm and supporters are encouraged to come along.

Comments are closed.