Two years more for man already in prison

A 23-year-old man, already serving a five-year prison term, was sentenced in Grand Court Tuesday to two more years imprisonment, with six months of that suspended.

According to the Crown, the case is particularly troubling, considering the defendant was on bail for numerous burglary charges when the incident occurred. He has since been sentenced to five years for those burglary charges.

The offence for which Jermaine Myles was sentenced Tuesday resulted from an incident outside a woman’s home at Greenwood Drive in George Town at 1.30am on 13 December and was apparently motivated by jealousy.

Chief Justice Anthony Smellie heard how the defendant attacked his victim from behind with a bottle, after which he proceeded to inflict further harm by severely cutting the man and biting him in the stomach.

The prosecution expressed concern about Myles’ previous record, as he previously served a custodial sentence for assault in 2006.

On 26 February of this year, Myles was sentenced to five years in prison for several burglaries.

It was while he was on bail awaiting sentencing in those matters that this crime happened.

During sentencing, the Crown Council reminded the Chief Justice about sentencing tariffs in these types of instances, stating that the maximum sentence is seven years.

Defence attorney John Furniss said his client was contrite about the assault and pleaded guilty to the offence ‘albeit at the beginning of trial.’

Jermaine Myles was originally charged with wounding with intent, which carries a heavier sentence, but took a plea deal for the lesser charge of wounding at the outset of trial.

Mr. Furniss urged the Chief Justice to show lenience toward his client, bearing in mind that the man was already serving a five-year sentence and was still quite young.

Justice Smellie said, ‘This was a deliberate and vicious attack,’ and went on to articulate concern regarding Myles’ criminal history and apparent disregard for the law.

He said though these would be aggravating factors to consider, he was also inclined to take into account Myles’ guilty plea, despite it being offered fairly late in the process.

He then sentenced Myles to what will amount to 18 months behind bars, with the remaining six months suspended and cautiously monitored.