Community service for 2nd assault

Machete wielder must get counselling, pay victim

Norrie Nolan Hydes, 36, was sentenced last week to perform 100 hours of community service after pleading guilty to assaulting a man with a machete in April 2007. He was also ordered to attend anger management courses and pay $1,393.13 in compensation to his victim.

Hydes initially pleaded not guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm to Edward Kelly outside a bar on Seymour Drive, George Town. He changed his plea after his trial began in October. Sentencing was adjourned so that a social inquiry report could be prepared.

Attorney Ben Tonner appeared for Hydes on behalf of his colleague Adam King, who had represented the defendant in October.

Both lawyers advised Justice Roy Anderson that Hydes did have a previous conviction. As the result of an incident in 2005, Hydes was sentenced in August 2007 to two years imprisonment for causing grievous bodily harm, but that term was suspended for two years.

The actual bodily harm charge before the court now related to an incident that occurred before that sentence was imposed.

Mr. Tonner said Hydes had completed an anger management course since the August 2007 sentencing, after which he did not reoffend.

For the trial in October, Crown Counsel Tanya Lobban called as her first witness Mr. Kelly, the victim in the April 2007 incident.

He told the court he was at the bar around closing time when a man and a woman began fighting. A friend of his rushed toward them, but Mr. Kelly said it was a husband and wife problem and he shouldn’t get involved.

Then he saw who the woman was; he realised he knew her and tried to help her. A whole bunch of people – 12 to 15 — then came down on him. He ran and fell and got kicked. He fought his way out and ran again, heading toward the main road.

There was a piece of steel sticking out of the dirt and it hooked on his pants, causing him to fall again. A man ran after him with a machete and a woman was calling, ‘No, Norrie’. The man whacked him all over his back and across his face, Mr. Kelly reported. His hand was hurt because he was protecting his face. Then other people came and he was able to get away.

He said he did not know his attacker but saw him close up and a light pole was right there. He later picked out a picture of Hydes from a police folder with a lot of pictures in it.

It was after Mr. Kelly’s evidence that Hydes changed his plea. Justice Anderson directed the jury to return its verdict accordingly.

In the sentencing hearing, Mr. Tonner said the social inquiry report deemed Hydes to be suitable for community service in addition to repaying the victim any losses.

He asked for six months to pay compensation, saying Hydes did not have vast resources to draw from by way of his salary.

In passing sentence, Justice Anderson said he felt the defendant could benefit from a further course of anger management in addition to doing community service.

He said he would leave it to the probation officer to decide how those hours would best be served.

He told Hydes he wanted him to attend anger management courses for a period of no less than three months. He urged Hydes to take this opportunity to consider his ways and implored him to consider his future and the plans he had for himself.