Bail denied in attempted murder

AK-47s allegedly used, says Crown

Luis Robert Varona and Sven Brett
Connor were remanded in custody for attempted murder after Crown Counsel Candia
James opposed their bail applications on Tuesday.

The men are charged with attempting
to murder Royden Robinson on the night of 5 March in the Templeton Avenue area of Windsor Park,
George Town.

 Ms James said the Crown’s case was that two
AK-47 assault rifles were used in the incident. Shells were recovered from the
scene, but the rifles have not been recovered.

Ms James said the Crown had eye
witness accounts of the incident.

 Another person is charged jointly with Varona
and Connor, she noted, naming Mark Anthony Seymour.

Seymour, 25, was arrested on Monday
night, she advised Magistrate Nova Hall, but he had not been processed in time
to be brought to court that day.

He was expected to be in court on
31 March and then with the other men on 8 April.

Defence Attorney John Furniss told
the court that Varona, 27, had been arrested after his name was given to
police. He gave them his alibi and officers investigated. They also searched
his premises and nothing was found to connect him with the offence. He was subsequently
released on bail.

“Shooting obviously at the present
moment is an important concern in this jurisdiction,” Mr Furniss acknowledged,
“but one’s liberty is also important.”

As far as he knew, there was no new
evidence and the state of the case was the same as when police bailed Varona.

Mr. Furniss said the Crown’s case,
based on identification, would clearly be challenged because of the difficult
circumstances in which the identification would have been made.

He emphasised that Varona had no previous
convictions for weapons or violence. The defendant’s family was present and
could provide sureties.

Connor, 29, also provided an alibi
to police after his arrest and officers took a statement from the person
concerned, Mr. Furniss told the court.

He pointed out that trial of this
charge in the Grand Court
was some way away – the end of this year probably being the earliest.

Mr. Furniss urged the court to
grant bail with the normal stringent conditions, including residence, curfew
and a substantial surety.

The magistrate pointed out that
circumstances had changed for the defendant now that the charge has been laid. She
cited other reasons for denying bail, including Ms James’ concern that there
was risk of flight from the jurisdiction, given the seriousness of the charge.