Two men face kidnap charges

Bail applications post-poned

Five charges have been laid against
the two men who allegedly kidnapped a young man on 18 March. The victim escaped
the next day.

Wespie Wilfred Mullings Ramon and
Charles Felix Sanders Webster appeared in Summary Court on Monday and again on
Tuesday, when their attorneys had planned to apply for their bail.

Ramon, 36, and Webster, 28, are
both charged with unlawfully abducting a named person; keeping that person concealed
or in confinement; threatening him with violence; and assault causing him
actual bodily harm.

They are further charged with
blackmail – that, with a view to gain for themselves or another, they made an
unwarranted demand for $500,000 to the victim’s mother “with menaces”.

In listing the charges before Magistrate
Nova Hall, Crown Counsel Candia James referred to the blackmail as a ransom demand.

She also objected to bail for
either defendant.

On behalf of Webster, Attorney Lloyd
Samson said he had hoped for more information from the Crown so that he could apply
for bail. He accepted, however, that Ms James had sent him what she had at the
time. He expected to be able to make the bail application on Tuesday, 6 April.

Attorney John Furniss said his
situation was the same for Ramon.

The magistrate remanded both men in
custody until 6 April.

Press releases from the Royal
Cayman Islands Police Service indicated previously that both defendants were
Honduran nationals. However, Ramon’s charge sheet lists him as Honduran with
Caymanian status.

0
0

NO COMMENTS