League coaches get props for flag youth development

In sports some of the less
publicized individuals tend to be the volunteers. One group of people who
deserve recognition for their involvement in youth flag football is the

The organizers of the second annual
The Security Centre Youth Flag Football League would in particular like to
recognize the work of Ben McLaughlin, Darrell Porter and Shawn Pitterson.

“Those three guys highlight how
hard all of the volunteers have worked this year,” League Organizer Kyle
Broadhurst said. “A number of people have worked very hard both this year and
last to make the league a success. We have had great coaches return and we have
had excellent new coaches involved.”

One of those new coaches is McLaughlin
who previously played in the men’s league for PWC. This year he decided to volunteer
with the youth league and spear-headed the Security Centre Packers. Under Ben’s
guidance the team quickly established itself as a force and went undefeated
during the regular season.

In the playoffs the team had
trouble and lost to the Dart Cayman Islands Dolphins. What stood out to league
officials was even when his team was losing, Ben never lost his cool and he
took the defeat gracefully and showed true sportsmanship. He provided a great
example for the kids both as a fantastic coach and a dedicated teacher. 

Porter is a long time player in the
men’s league becoming affectionately known as “50” during his tenure
with the Stingers. Darrell was involved with last year’s youth league but this
year he got involved organizing the league and as a coach. Darrell guided the
Burger King Gators who lost only one game all season long and also was an
assistant coach for the Universal AC Ravens.

He also organized the uniforms and
trophies and medals for the kids and gave tips to other coaches.

Pitterson is a familiar face in
local sports and in flag football he has played for the Maples men’s team for
years. Shawn stepped up his support this year by volunteering in the youth and
co-ed leagues.

Shawn ended up being both a coach
and a ref. Often times he spent his Friday nights refereeing the co-ed league
and then returned to the field at 9am the following morning to help out until 3pm.