Teens charged in Domino’s robbery

Bail was denied to four teenagers
charged with robbery at Domino’s Pizza in Savannah on the afternoon of
Thursday, 3 June.

The three females and one male who
appeared in Summary Court on Wednesday are all 17 and legally not juveniles, so
there is no restriction on reporting their names: Anastasia Anasia Watson,
Julissa Monique Avila, Addie Shanice Haylock and Ariel Rendie McLaughlin.

They all face the same charge: that
they stole $366 and two litres of soda and at the time of doing so used force
against two Domino’s staff members.

Crown Counsel Marilyn Brandt
objected to bail, pointing to the seriousness of the charge and the allegation
that a machete was involved. She said the Crown’s case was that the three
females entered the premises, while McLaughlin drove the getaway car.

On behalf of Watson, Attorney Karin
Martinez-Thompson told Chief Magistrate Margaret Ramsay-Hale she would not seek
to persuade the court that bail should be granted at this time.

Attorneys Lloyd Samson, Lucy Organ
and John Furniss did apply for bail. They suggested various conditions that
could be imposed, including electronic monitoring.

Mr. Samson said Haylock is a
student who is also employed. Ms Organ said Avila is also a student, and Mr.
Furniss specifically noted that McLaughlin was to have seen his advisor the
next day, with a view to going back to school in September.

The magistrate pointed out that,
under the Bail Law, robbery is one of the offences for which an accused person
is not entitled to bail unless there is some exceptional circumstance. “Their
age is not an exceptional circumstance,” she said, in refusing bail.

The one concession to their age
would be to get them before the appropriate court as soon as possible, the
magistrate indicated. Robbery is a charge that can be dealt with only in the
Grand Court and there must be a preliminary inquiry before they could be
committed to the higher court.

On that basis, she asked the Crown
to get the necessary papers to defence attorneys so that the inquiry could be
held on Tuesday, 6 July. That is the day before the opening of the next Grand
Court criminal session.

The magistrate remanded the three females
to the women’s prison facility at Fairbanks and McLaughlin to Eagle House.

Comments are closed.