No further action will be taken by authorities following a complaint filed over an alleged threat incident that occurred outside a local Café Del Sol restaurant on 19 April.
According to Royal Cayman Islands Police Service Inspector Raymond Christian: “A file had been submitted to the Legal Department for ruling and we were informed there will be no proceedings.”
Mr. Christian declined to comment further about the case.
The complaint regarding the 19 April dispute was filed by local resident Amjed Zureigat, who said some men were taking cell phone camera pictures of him inside the business and behaving in a threatening manner.
Mr. Zureigat said he was informed Tuesday by police that no charges would be filed in the incident.
“I’m really disappointed,” he said. “I don’t think the police came forward to really tell what happened.”
The dispute occurred in the vicinity of the Café Del Sol along Lawrence Boulevard in the Marquee Plaza, around 11am on 19 April, RCIPS said.
“Police responded to a report of a verbal altercation in Lawrence Boulevard … where it is alleged one male threatened another,” the initial police statement about the incident read.
The Compass contacted two of the three individuals involved in what police described as the “verbal altercation”.
One declined to comment, another said he hadn’t taken anyone’s picture at the location.
The two individuals are not being identified by the newspaper because they have not been, and apparently will not be, arrested or charged with any crime in connection with the incident.
Mr. Zureigat, a Jordanian national who often calls into local talk radio programmes, had been “banned” earlier in the day on 19 April from appearing on the Rooster FM morning talk show “Crosstalk”. He has said he believes the alleged threat incident was related to his previous appearances on the radio show.