Shellaz guys nearly shocked Boca crew

Shellaz picked up only their fourth point of the season after holding Boca Juniors to a draw in the Heineken Sunday League at the weekend.

Points have been hard to come by for Shellaz and despite producing encouraging performances they have usually come away empty handed, but this week they deservedly picked up a point after holding Latitude 19 Boca Juniors to a 1-1 draw at Ed Bush.

Shellaz fell behind to a truly fantastic strike from Boca’s centre forward Henry Mitchell who volleyed home after 25 minutes.

Shellaz equalised when a long range drive was spilled by the Boca keeper and their captain Steve Dunkley followed up to score.

The result of the day belonged to league leaders Triple Crown Wanderers who comprehensively beat last season’s champions Harry’s 6-1 at the TE McField Annex.

Wanderers’ striker Kiegel ‘Stamma’ Atkinson turned in a man-of-the-match display with two assists along with two fine goals in a superb performance.

Wanderers opened the scoring when Atkinson crossed the ball to Podge Brosnan who fired home after 14 minutes. Then Atkinson laid on for Gav Kane to score.

Atkinson got his first before the Harry’s goalkeeper went straight to the feet of Ricoh Brown and he held his composure to shoot straight into the unguarded net.

Harry’s captain Chris Fenn pulled one back from a penalty after the break before Atkinson claimed his second for his side’s fifth and Derron Campbell rounded off the scoring in the last minute.

The remaining game at the TE McField Annex was between second in the table Agua and Old Boys. Agua were clear favourites for victory, largely through the actions of Miles Rantla in the Old Boys goal.

But with the game entering its final phase the Old Boys defenders got careless and left Agua’s Nicolas Persico to strike for his second goal in as many weeks.

Six minutes later Agua sealed victory when Paul Blenkinsopp’s thunderous shot from the edge of the box flew into the net.

Ed Bush was the venue for the Maples Revolution versus CML Claymores game and it turned out to be an even contest with little goal mouth action in a scoreless first half.

In the second half Maples striker James Plowright finished off a cross to score before Paul Njogu shot home for their second.

Falling two goals behind seemed to wake-up CML and they thereafter played with more purpose – and although they managed to pull a goal back when Darnell Hanley curled in a well hit shot, their response was too late.

To make things even worse for the Claymores, player-coach Chris Turrell was sent off five minutes from the end after remonstrating too forcibly to a referring decision.

The hard earned draw by Shellaz leaves Old Boys rooted on three points at the foot of the table.