Crown outlines murder case

Lead prosecutor Andrew Radcliffe opened the Crown’s case on Thursday in the trial of two men charged with murdering Robert Macford Bush in West Bay on the night of Sept. 13, 2011.

On trial are Brian Emmanuel Borden, alleged to be one of two men who shot Mr. Bush after he stopped to pick up his girlfriend shortly after 11:15 p.m., and David Joseph Tamasa, who is alleged to have provided ammunition for the shooting.

Mr. Radcliffe said the second gunman was Keith Montaque, who was shot in George Town a few nights later during a spate of shootings that followed Mr. Bush’s death. Montaque had been in the company of Jason Christian, who was killed.

Montaque was treated at the Cayman Islands Hospital and then sent to Jamaica for further treatment, Mr. Radcliffe said. By the time there was evidence to implicate him, Montaque could not be found, the prosecutor said.

He told Justice Alexander Henderson that the evidence of Marlon Dillon will be central to the Crown’s case. Dillon, who pleaded guilty to involvement in the robbery of Cayman National Bank and the WestStar TV in 2012, has told police that both Borden and Tamasa boasted to him of their roles in Mr. Bush’s murder.

Mr. Radcliffe spoke of rivalries between two West Bay groups. Borden belonged to the Birch Tree Hill group and Mr. Bush lived in the Logwoods area. There may have been a further motive of jealousy because Mr. Bush’s girlfriend, Myra Ebanks, had previously been in a brief intimate relationship with Borden, the prosecutor said.

For Borden, the sole issue was whether he would be proved to be one of the gunmen.

For Tamasa, the issue was whether he is proved to have provided ammunition knowing it would be used in the shooting, even if he did not know the identity of the individual targeted, Mr. Radcliffe said.

Mr. Bush received two major wounds to the face and head. Either one would have been fatal, but it did not matter because each person involved was responsible for what happened that night, Mr. Radcliffe pointed out.

He also took the court through phone records and statements from witnesses by way of background information. He noted that Ms. Ebanks did not identify the gunmen: what she saw was two male figures with shirts tied around their heads to mask their features.

Ms. Ebanks was initially expected to be the Crown’s first witness on Friday, but getting a video link set up turned out not to be possible until Monday. Other witnesses will be available to give their evidence, Mr. Radcliffe assured the court, and these will include the officer who first responded to the crime scene and who took photos.

Comments are closed.