Surety’s court hearing set for Feb. 26
Arthur Screaton, who left Cayman in 2012 after pleading not guilty to theft and false accounting, will not be extradited from the United States to face trial, Crown counsel Toyin Salako said Friday.
“He has been located, but a decision has been taken not to extradite him, and he is not willing to come back voluntarily,” she told Justice Charles Quin.
Last month the court was told that Screaton was in Denver, Colorado.
Now 55, Screaton was charged with the theft of $4,132 and $6,723 from Rackam’s Bar and C-Blu Lounge between October and December 2010. He pleaded not guilty in March 2012, and his trial was set to start on Sept. 17 that year.
Before the trial, defense attorney John Furniss applied for a variation in bail to allow his client, a Canadian national, to travel to Denver, Colorado to join his wife and child, whom he had not seen for some time. When the Crown did not object, Justice Quin granted permission to travel on condition that Screaton supply the court with his itinerary and post a surety of $10,000.
Two weeks before the trial was to have started, the matter was mentioned again for the defendant to choose whether he wanted a jury trial or judge-alone. However, he failed to attend and the presiding judge issued a warrant for his arrest.
The matter has been before the court several times since.
On Friday, Mr. Furniss suggested Feb. 26 for the surety to attend court.
An article in the Cayman Compass in November 2012 indicated that Screaton had been in Cayman 16 years and held permanent residence. He had managed various restaurants and licensed premises.