Stormy weather will not last long, forecaster says

A tropical wave and the remnants of Tropical Storm Erika combined to produce the stormy weather that hit Grand Cayman Monday night and Tuesday morning. 

Between 7 p.m. Monday and 7 a.m. Tuesday, 0.4 of an inch of rain was recorded at Owen Roberts International Airport, according to the Cayman Islands Weather Service. Meteorologist Gilbert Miller said that although not much rainfall was recorded at the airport overnight, there had been heavier rain in the eastern parts of the island. 

On Tuesday, between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m., 0.35 of an inch of rain was recorded at the airport after heavy morning storms. 

The weather service did not receive any reports of flooding. Mr. Miller said the ground has been dry recently and was absorbing the rain. 

Strong winds accompanied the storm. Mr. Miller said he believes there was a gust of about 42 miles per hour, and he was generally recording wind speeds of 25-30 knots. He said the winds associated with the thunderstorms are called “downbursts” or “microbursts” and occur when rain pushes the column of wind below it in all directions. 

He said the weather should improve overnight. 

“We might have one or two showers in the morning as a result of winds coming over Cuba, but don’t expect [the] amount of clouds and thunderstorms we had this morning,” Mr. Miller said Tuesday. 

According to the Cayman Islands National Weather Service forecast, there is a 40 percent chance of showers and some thunder on Wednesday and Thursday, a 30 percent chance of showers and thunder Friday, and a 30 percent chance of showers Saturday. 

Mr. Miller said a 30 percent chance of isolated showers is normal for summer in the Caribbean. 

“Ninety percent of the time you’ll get afternoon showers,” Mr. Miller said. “It’s just for the past couple months it’s happened offshore.” 

Mr. Miller noted that it is still hurricane season, so “preparedness is key.” 

Comments are closed.