Shooting witness says he saw gunman in 'Halloween mask'

A gas station pump attendant told the court hearing the Devon Anglin trial he saw a gunman in a Halloween mask at the Hell Service Station the night 4-year-old Jeremiah Barnes was shot dead. 

Carlos Ebanks was working at the gas station on Feb. 15, 2010, when the shooting occurred. 

Asked what his first reaction was when he saw the mask, Mr. Ebanks replied, “I thought someone was coming to play a prank on someone.” 

Mr. Ebanks was giving evidence in the retrial of Anglin, who is accused of murdering Jeremiah, attempting to murder the child’s father Andy Barnes, and possession of an unlicensed firearm. 

The witness told Justice Charles Quin that Andy Barnes had driven into the station and was at pump 1 getting gas at the east end of the station. Mr. Ebanks said he was assisting customers at pumps 3 and 4 at the west end of the station at the time. 

Mr. Ebanks said the gunman was wearing dark trousers and a light greenish jacket with the hood up that obscured the head. 

He could not make out any facial features, although the side of the face toward him was not fully covered. He described the mask as bluish or bluish-green in color. 

As the person walked toward pump 1, Mr. Ebanks saw him pull a gun from his side. After the shooting, the gunman ran toward the back of the station where Mr. Ebanks had seen a car pull in moments earlier. 

Three other witnesses have also given evidence about the face of the shooter being covered. 

Andy Barnes said that when the shooter came around the corner of the building, he was trying to fix a bandana over his face and when he finished, it was above his nose, so that Mr. Barnes could see his eyes clearly. 

Dorlisa Barnes, his wife and mother of Jeremiah, was in the front passenger seat of the car at the time of the shooting. She said she saw Anglin coming around the corner of the building. When she first saw him, he was bare-faced. Then he brought something up to mask his face. 

Expert video analyst Grant Fredericks showed an enlargement of the shooter’s head from CCTV footage taken by a camera outside the service station’s store door. 

From the magnified image, it appeared that the shooter had a mask from the bridge of his nose to below his jaw. Mr. Fredericks concluded it was a bandana-style, bluish-purplish item covering the person’s nose, mouth and chin area. 

Hell Service Station on the night 4-year-old Jeremiah Barnes was shot. - PHOTO: BRENT FULLER

Hell Service Station on the night 4-year-old Jeremiah Barnes was shot. – PHOTO: BRENT FULLER