Andrel Harris

A man who was caught on video exposing himself to a woman on a George Town street was found guilty of indecent assault this week by a Grand Court jury.

The victim recorded Leandro Solomon after he began harassing her as she walked home on South Church Street around 12:30am on 15 Oct. last year.

While giving evidence, during the three-day trial, the woman told jurors she was walking alone when Solomon, whom she said she had never met before, approached her and asked for a cigarette.

She said after she gave him the cigarette, he began walking alongside her and made several advances, which she said she declined.

“He offered to pay my rent, but I told him no. I told him I have a boyfriend who was waiting at home for me, and I’m not that kind of girl,” said the woman. Following that initial conversation, she said she became worried, so she began videoing the encounter.

In the first of two clips shown to the jury, Solomon offered to expose himself. At that point, the woman repeatedly told him no and that he should get away. She could be heard on the video screaming for help.

The woman said she told Solomon to keep walking and that she was going home, and he should not follow her. The court heard that when the woman turned her back and began walking away, Solomon ran up behind her and grabbed her on her lower back and buttocks, which gave rise to the charge of indecent assault.

In a second clip, Solomon was recorded while touching himself inappropriately. That clip was eventually uploaded to social media, where a Royal Cayman Islands Police Service Constable Darado Thompson, along with hundreds of other people, viewed it.

Crown counsel Kerri-Ann Gillies told the jury that PC Thompson and Solomon had been schoolmates, and that after viewing the video clips several times, he was able to make a confirm that the man in the video was Solomon.

The jury also heard that through a Facebook profile, the woman was able to identify her attacker as Solomon.

Solomon denied the allegations.

After deliberating for a few hours, the jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict.
Following the guilty verdict, defence attorney Rupert Wheeler requested all bail conditions be lifted, to speed up the rehabilitation process.

“My client has served a significant period of time behind bars, so much so that in my humble submission he has passed the period of incarceration that would be imposed should a custodial sentence be delivered,” said Wheeler.

When Solomon was first arrested in October 2018, he was refused bail by the Summary Court and was held in remand for six months, before being released on bail by the Grand Court. That bail included a 12-hour curfew and required Solomon to wear an ankle monitor, which Wheeler said curtailed Solomon’s liberty.

Gillies objected to an unconditional bail. Justice Cheryll Richards, who tried the case, altered the curfew hours slightly, before issuing Solomon with a stern warning.

“Do not take the extension of bail as a signal that a non-custodial sentence will be passed,” said Justice Richards.

Solomon was released on bail and is due to be sentenced in November.