The trial of a man accused of raping a woman multiple times began in the Grand Court Tuesday.
The 48-year-old man faces four counts of rape, as well as three counts of indecent assault.
During the opening of the case, the jury heard that the defendant allegedly raped the woman in January and February last year in a communal home shared by the defendant, the complainant and others. Each incident was said to have occurred at night.
“The complainant did not want to have sex with [the defendant], and she told him so,” said Crown prosecutor Toyin Salako. “Whenever he asked her for sex, she just did it because she was afraid to say no. He told her if she did not comply, there would be trouble for her family, and she believed him.”
The alleged rapes came to light after the woman’s sister told their uncle, who then took the complainant to the police station to make the report.
The defendant accepted that there was sexual intercourse and other sexual activities, but said it was all consensual.
The trial continues this week.