Please read this document carefully. It covers all aspects of community interaction and moderation on all websites (each, a “website”) and social media pages (including, but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook) (each, a “social media page”) operated by Compass Media Ltd and its subsidiaries (together, “Compass Media”, “us”, “we”, or “our”)* from time to time, including comments on blogs or articles. Your use of the community areas of the website and social media pages constitutes your agreement to meet the standards set out in and be bound by the terms of this document. It may be regularly reviewed and updated, at our sole discretion and without notice, so please bookmark this page and check back frequently.
Compass Media Values
The community areas of our website and our social media pages provide opportunities for readers who wish to discuss the content we publish or debate issues. Compass Media welcomes opinions from its readers but also must ensure that this platform is welcoming, safe and inclusive.
- You must provide your real identity to the Compass Media to post comments on the website. We are not able to accept anonymous comments and we reserve the right to undertake checks to ensure that commentators have provided accurate identity details. On social media pages, we reserve the right to block or remove anonymous comments, as we consider appropriate. This approach protects our platform and its users.
- When commenting on the website or social media pages you must not post or encourage content which:
- uses obscene or offensive language
- is defamatory, abusive, or hateful or constitutes a personal attack on or threat against an author, other user or any other person
- may constitute discrimination against any protected characteristic (including age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation)
- constitutes junk mail, advertising or propaganda
- invades anyone’s privacy
- may prejudice an ongoing investigation or legal/court proceedings
- encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, or otherwise violate any law.
- Remember that you are using a public forum. Once your comment is online, anyone with internet access can read it. Please respect the beliefs and views of others and consider your impact on others when making comments. You are legally liable for comments you submit.
- You are responsible for ensuring that any content does not violate or infringe upon the copyright, patent, trademark or any other personal or proprietary rights of any third party and is posted only with the permission of the owner of such rights.
- From time to time (including in the case of legal proceedings – see below) we may choose to disable users’ ability to comment on certain stories in order to protect our platform and its users.
- By submitting a post, you grant us a perpetual license to publish, display, modify, create derivative works of, or otherwise use in our sole discretion any content, idea or opinion submitted without credit or consideration given to the originator of the idea.
From time to time, we may publish articles and posts relating to pending, current or concluded legal proceedings. Compass Media, to the extent it is aware of such comments and able to do so, will block (or where on social media posts blocking is not possible moderate) comments that have the potential to prejudice pending or ongoing legal proceedings or create legal liability. However, be aware that when you comment on a post, you become a “publisher”, and legally liable under defamation laws, privacy laws and for contempt of court if you “publish” anything which could prejudice pending or ongoing legal proceedings. Note that legal proceedings may be “ongoing” even after the court has made a ruling, as there may be leave to appeal.
Removal of content:
- We may block or remove any content that we consider may put us at legal risk, including potentially libelous or defamatory comments, or material posted in breach of copyright.
- We may block or remove any content which is obviously commercial and we actively discourage organisations posing as individuals to post advertising material or propaganda.
- We will not edit comments to change their meaning or intent, though we may from time to time amend spelling or grammar (at our discretion).
- It may be additionally necessary to remove subsequent comments in a chain which refer to or quote from the original removed comment.
Suspension or termination of account:
- We reserve the right to suspend or terminate an account at our sole discretion, where we consider it necessary or appropriate to do so.
- Compass Media makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability of comments. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
- In no event will Compass Media be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of or in connection with community content or the use of such information.
- Moderation of comments is at the sole discretion of Compass Media and Compass Media shall have no liability whatsoever for any decision regarding the blocking or removal of a comment or suspension or termination of an account or for any delay in taking such action. Comments are not monitored 24/7.
- The views expressed in community areas of the website do not necessarily reflect or represent the views of Compass Media, its staff or contributors.
- You may, and are encouraged to, report any content which does not meet the community standards to [email protected].
- If you have any questions about community participation, you can write to [email protected].
- If you own a copyright and believe that any material posted in a community area of the website infringes your copyright, please notify us at [email protected].
- Our community moderation decisions are final and we will not enter into correspondence regarding specific moderation activity, though we will read all such correspondence.
- The guidelines set out herein shall equally apply to any advertisements published in any media by Compass Media on behalf of its clients. Clients are expected to follow the guidelines when providing or requesting advertisement content.
* including, but not limited to, caymancompass.com, compassmedia.ky, insideoutcayman.com, flava.ky, caymanhealth.com, keytocayman.com, z99.ky, goldcayman.ky, rooster101.ky, islandfm.ky and any sites which may from time to time be created by or for Compass Media Ltd or its affiliates.