Home Topics Cruise berthing and cargo facility
Topic: cruise berthing and cargo facility
Government has appealed the Grand Court’s decision to strike down the port referendum law, which set out the conditions for a people’s vote on the controversial plans for new cruise piers in George Town Harbour.
The planned cruise berthing facility is in jeopardy after the Grand Court quashed the Referendum Law in February, Premier Alden McLaughlin admitted on Friday.
Acting Port Director Joseph Woods and his team are operating business as usual even with a Grand Court decision on the port project referendum looming.
A two-day judicial review wrapped up Thursday, with government’s attorneys urging Justice Tim Owen not to side with petitioners who are calling for the current referendum law to be declared incompatible with the Cayman Islands Constitution.
Members of the National Trust for the Cayman Islands voted unanimously on Thursday to officially oppose the construction of a cruise berthing facility in George Town. Previously, the Trust had held a neutral position on the project.
The referendum on the controversial cruise and cargo port development will be delayed at least until next year following a court order Tuesday. The decision...
Elections Office Supervisor Wesley Howell has said the impact of the National Trust court action on the port referendum is uncertain.
Premier Alden McLaughlin made it clear that his administration will not allow cruise ship companies to operate any businesses outside of their current function in Cayman.
The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS) said will maintain a presence at Cruise Port Referendum Cayman meetings after the tyres of a vehicle belonging to one of the leaders of the group was slashed Monday night.