The Cayman Islands Government is close to making a decision concerning whether to continue using MC Restoration in any capacity in the post-Hurricane Ivan clean-up process.
At Friday’s Cabinet press briefing, Leader of Government Business Kurt Tibbetts said the Government had an informal meeting with MC Restoration last week.
‘At this time, there seems to be a legal question,’ he said.
Our legal team thinks the MC Restoration contract is complete, meaning there is no more contract,’ Mr. Tibbetts said.
‘They say there are some ancillary tasks incomplete, which are part and parcel of the contract.’
Mr. Tibbetts said he was hopeful of getting together with MC Restoration this week to put the matter to rest so the country could move forward with the clean-up process.
MC Restoration was told to cease its hurricane debris processing efforts on 9 May.
After the 11 May general election, the administration said it wanted to assess the entire situation to ensure government was getting good value for money in any debris clean-up contract.
A special report of the Auditor General completed last March concluded government did get good value for money on the contract with MC Restoration.
Stopped from working for 11 weeks now, MC Restoration owner Tom Moffitt has indicated that if a decision is not made soon, the company would be forced to ship its specialised equipment back to the United States to be put to use there.