Second jury chosen

The jury selected on 9 January for an attempted murder trial was discharged the following day.

A second jury was empanelled from the array assembled after Deputy Clerk of Court Mrs. Cecile Collins re-contacted persons who had been summonsed for jury duty during the January session.

Mr. Justice Dale Sanderson said the reasons for discharging the first jury were somewhat technical. He told the five women and two men who were first selected that they might be chosen again. Some were.

The new jury was then put in charge of the defendant.

Sheldon Brown is charged with attempted murder. Details allege that he attempted unlawfully to cause the death of James Fernando Martin at the Cayman Islander Hotel on 17 August 2004.

The defendant is also charged, as an alternative, with doing grievous bodily harm to the same complainant at the same place on the same date.

He has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Mr. Justice Sanderson spoke to the jurors about their duty, as is his practice. He told them to ignore rumours, gossip and any media coverage they might see, hear or read. They must consider only the evidence given in court.

He also advised that if anyone outside their number tried to approach them about the case, they should let him know.

When the new jury returned on 12 January, Mr. Justice Sanderson advised members that proceedings had been going on everyday in their absence.

This was not unusual, he said. He and counsel for the Prosecution and Defence were in the process of resolving legal issues, not factual issues, he explained.

The prosecution is being conducted by Andrew Radcliffe QC, instructed by Senior Crown Counsel Adam Roberts.

The defendant is represented by Paul Purnell QC, instructed by Attorney James Austin-Smith.

On Friday, 13 January, Mr. Radcliffe opened the Crown’s case to the jury. The first witness called was James Fernando Martin, who named the defendant as the person who shot him.

The jury has since heard the defendant’s interview with police, in which he stated that he was home that evening with the woman who is now his wife, and he did not leave their apartment.

A majority of the witnesses have been police officers. On Friday, 20 January, the Crown’s witness was a forensic scientist who specialises in trace evidence, including gunshot residue.

The trial continues today after the National Heroes holiday weekend.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now