28 Cuban migrants on cruise

May disembark in Cozumel

Twenty eight Cuban migrants who entered Cayman waters aboard a Carnival cruise ship early yesterday morning remained on board while other passengers disembarked.

They were to travel on to Cozumel today where they may be disembarked, according to Carnival Cruise Lines.

Although no response had been given to the Caymanian Compass from the Cayman Islands Immigration Department by press time, it is believed the Cubans were not permitted by officials to disembark the ship in George Town.

A statement from Carnival Cruise Lines yesterday said that on Wednesday, 15 March the Carnival Conquest picked up 28 Cuban rafters off the coast of Jamaica during a seven-day cruise that departed Galveston, Texas, on Sunday 12 March

‘As per standard company protocol, the appropriate authorities were notified,’ it said.

The 28 individuals were yesterday on board the ship being provided with food and medical treatment, the statement noted.

‘The individuals may be disembarked in Cozumel when the Conquest docks there tomorrow, however, that has yet to be determined,’ said the statement.

The mega-liner arrives back in Galveston, Texas, on Sunday.

Earlier this month Mexican authorities said they were stepping up security at detention centres for illegal Cuban migrants after an uprising. Cubans are held at dilapidated detention centres in Mexico while seeking political asylum.

0
0

NO COMMENTS