Police retrace last hours

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service wants to know where Frederic Bise was, and who he was with, in the hours before he turned up dead in the back of a burning car Friday morning.

Police now believe Mr. Bise, a 40-year-old Swiss banker, was killed and placed in the hatchback of a Mitsubishi Outlander which was then set on fire sometime in the early morning of 8 February.

A post mortem exam revealed that he had suffered severe head injuries.

‘We know that Mr. Bise was killed before the car was set on fire,’ RCIPS Superintendent Marlon Bodden said. ‘Our priority now is tracing his last movements. We are working hard to find out what happened to him and why. At this time we have no motive for the killing.’

No arrests had been made in the case by press time.

Fire investigators had not determined an exact cause for the small blaze, but said they believed it was intentionally set.

Mr. Bodden said officers investigating the case spent the entire weekend on the job working out of an incident management room at the West Bay police station.

He urged anyone who had been with or seen Mr. Bise on the evening of 7 Thursday into the morning hours of 8 Friday to come forward and contact police. Also, officers said anyone who had been in the area of Mount Pleasant Road near the Pleasant View apartments overnight Thursday or early Friday morning and who saw anything suspicious should speak with officers.

The home where the car was found is at the corner of Mount Pleasant and Avoca Lane.

‘(Mr. Bise’s) last movements are crucial to us,’ Mr. Bodden said.

The Swiss national’s killing is the second of the year in Cayman, and the third recent case in which authorities are seeking to bring criminal charges.

In January, 18-year-old Josh Hooker was gunned down in his George Town home where he was staying with his two-year-old child. Police have made two arrests in connection with that incident, but no one has been formally charged.

Last year, Marlon Brando Ebanks was also shot to death in the yard of his West Bay home. One person was arrested in that crime, but was later released when investigators determined he had nothing to do with the shooting.

Criminal charges have been brought in two other homicide cases the RCIPS investigated last year. One suspect has already been convicted and is serving jail time.