Arrest in WB man’s killing

Police have made a quick arrest in connection with last weekend’s killing in West Bay.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service reported Thursday that a 30-year-old man had been taken into custody on suspicion of murder and attempted murder. He remained jailed at press time, but had not been charged.

Detectives investigating the killing of 23-year-old Mark Jefferson over the past weekend have confirmed that a post mortem shows the victim was shot three times.

Police were called to Birch Tree Hill Road around midnight on Friday, 11 July and found Mr. Jefferson dead at the scene. A second man received two bullet wounds, one to each arm, and has undergone surgery for his injuries. He remains in hospital at this time.

Detectives said they are following up a number of leads and would like to thank the public for their assistance.

‘At this point, based on the evidence we have so far, it would appear we are looking for a single gunman who was armed with two firearms,’ said Superintendent Marlon Bodden, who is overseeing the investigation. ‘Whether he was assisted by others is yet to be determined. We are in the process of collecting statements and gathering and examining the evidence.’

A member of the public called the 911 Emergency Communications Centre just after the incident to report that a shooting had occurred outside Kelly’s Bar. Police were on the scene within minutes and found Mr. Jefferson’s body lying on the ground.

‘Witnesses have told us the gunman walked into the road from the direction of the laundromat and made off over a fence behind Kelly’s bar,’ said Mr. Bodden. ‘I appeal for anyone who saw the gunman before, during or after the attack to contact the Major Incident Room in West Bay on 949-3999. If you would prefer, you could call Crime Stoppers on 800-8477.’

Police are aware that the attacker was seen leaving on foot but said he could have gotten into a car or onto a bike. Officers are appealing for any sightings of someone leaving the scene after the incident.

‘We need to speak to anyone with information,’ said Mr. Bodden. ‘Even if it seems insignificant, it could help with our enquiries.’

Police had a 19-year-old man in custody who they said was assisting them with their injuries over the weekend. However, he has not been formally implicated in the shooting.

Comments are closed.