Storming ahead

The BrightStaff Alex Alexander Premiership kicked off on Saturday with the defending champion DHL Cayman Storm taking on the Don Foster’s Dive Iguanas.

storming ahead

John Swanepoel (front) and Tom Kimball contest the lineout.

Although the early season can often be a tough time for teams as they try to find their rhythm, both teams seemed ready to give it their all.

In spite of expectations that it would be one-way traffic for the Cayman Storm, the Iguanas showed their intent early on, driving from the scrum and breakdown, while the Storm attempted to move the ball to their backline.

The Iguanas saw their tactics draw first blood in the 19th minute when Tom Kimball managed to drive over the line from the base of a five metre scrum to put the first points on the board.

The Storm side did not take kindly to being behind, and worked hard to get close to the Iguana try line.

The pressure paid off eleven minutes later as Chilean newcomer Camilio stepped through the Iguanas’ defence to dot one down and draw the Storm level.

A successful conversion by Scott Forrest gave the Storm the lead and seemed to inject renewed vigour into their attack.

The Storm did not have it all their way though, as sustained pressure by the Iguanas forced a number of errors on the part of the Storm.

The team suffered in the scrums which in turn placed pressure on the halfback and fly half combination of Forrest and Tim Rossiter, who only recently made his return from injury.

Unfortunately for the Iguanas they could not manage to push home their advantage, with the Storm sorting out their ball distribution problems and moving the ball to the centres quickly.

With the Storm backline proving dangerous out wide, the Iguanas defence had to commit more men to cover out wide, which opened up gaps around the scrum.

Forrest was quick to exploit one such gap, wriggling through to score a try and giving the Storm a solid seven point lead.

Although the Iguanas did their best to pull back the points, they could not quite string enough phases together, as the Storm pounced on every error.

The sustained pressure paid off for the Storm as the Iguanas conceded a penalty in a kickable position, with Forrest making no mistake and extending the lead to ten points.

A couple of minutes later Forrest was at it again, with the same result, as he slotted another penalty to extend the storm lead to 13 points.

With eight minutes of the game remaining, Matthew Hale broke through the Iguanas defence and ran the try in from 50 metres out to wrap the game up for the Storm.

Not to be outdone, Forrest managed to squeeze in his second try of the day just before the final whistle and in so doing secured the bonus point for the Storm.

The final score of 28 – 5 should serve as a warning to all other pretenders to the throne that the Storm will not be unseated easily.

The battle for Premiership supremacy continues on Saturday 24 January when the Iguanas will have a shot at redemption as they take on the Heineken Cayman Surge at 2pm.

The Storm will see whether they can keep up their winning ways when they take on the BPC Buccaneers at 4:00 pm.