People often spend much time getting in shape for vacation, losing weight and toning up, only to return home many pounds heavier, tired and feeling toxic.
Recent travels to Italy by an unnamed Lifestyle’s’ participant proves it does not have to be this way. She arrived home 6.6 lbs lighter and without sacrificing the foods she desired. She is ecstatic and ready to continue her journey down in pounds.
Prior to her vacation, we held consultations enabling her to lose weight and build an action plan for her European vacation. Feeling good through weight loss, she set clear intentions for her desire to return to Cayman with either a weight loss or, at best, maintaining at the same weight.
Her success was based primarily on her intention. Intention is a powerful force in life and sets actions in motion towards a desired outcome.
Her stated intention before departing Cayman was to practice selective food choices without sacrificing what she desired and physical activity. She booked a villa three floors up to aid in this endeavour.
Just as vacation is about relaxing, indulging and taking a break from the grind of daily life, it affords us an opportunity to break out of our box, and satisfy our quest for adventure and action which involve physical exploration, movement and exertion.
Whether your vacation plans are a quick trip to Disneyland, Europe or a staycation at The Reef Resort in East End, here are helpful tips for continued success in weight loss and lifetime weight maintenance while on vacation:
– Determine your intentions… what is it you would like to see happen in terms of your health regime and weight.
– Pack for success. Include walking shoes, swim gear, and active-wear clothing as well as clothes that make you feel good.
– Investigate potential activity options as soon as you arrive at your destination. Locate the gym, pool, tennis courts, walking paths, golf course, yoga classes, etc.
– Get physically active immediately upon arriving. Getting your circulation moving help dispel travel fatigue and stiffness. Positive, happy vibes will also follow as you start your vacation in an active manner.
– Decide what food indulgences are most attractive to you: Daily dessert? Dining out nightly? Happy hour? Plan these and practise moderation and damage control.
– Do not keep food and snacks in your hotel room and make food the ‘non-focus’ of your vacation.
If you decide to ‘let go and indulge’, make an intention to get back on track upon returning home, don’t throw in the towel completely.
Viewing vacation and travel as an opportunity for healthy living is a lifestyle decision that will help you lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life.
Lifestyles programmes help participants develop intentions for successful weight loss. Classes resume in October. Happy and healthy travels.
Lifestyles with Donna provides healthy living guidelines for everyone. Email [email protected] for more information
Decide what food indulgences are most attractive to you: Daily dessert? Dining out nightly? Happy hour? Plan these and practise moderation and damage control.