The second man shot last week at the Next Level nightclub was not a target in the shooting, Royal Cayman Islands Police Service investigators have confirmed.
The individual, a male in his 20’s, was struck in the stomach by what may have been a bullet fragment or a ricochet from the gunfire. He was treated and then released from hospital the morning of the shooting.
Those inside the club at the time of the shooting, who spoke with the Caymanian Compass last week on condition of anonymity, indicated their belief that the second victim was not targeted.
‘I’m surprised there weren’t more people who got shot in there,’ one witness said. ‘The dance floor was pretty crowded.’
The intended victim, 35-year-old Carlo Webster of West Bay, died after being hit by three shots according to a post-mortem conducted in the case.
One of three men arrested in connection with the shooting remained in police custody at press time, but had not been charged.
Meanwhile, RCIPS officers were investigating what may have been a retaliatory shooting on Monday night in West Bay with possible connections to the Next Level homicide.
RCIPS Chief Inspector Peter Kennett said police still needed assistance from people who were at the club early Thursday, 10 September when shots rang out.
‘We have received a lot of information from the public, but there are witnesses who were present who have not come forward,’ Mr. Kennett said. ‘We need to speak to…anyone who saw the murderer leaving the club, who would have no doubt been carrying a gun.’
No weapon was recovered at the crime scene.
Police did recover video tapes from surveillance cameras placed both inside and outside the nightclub. It was not known whether the suspected killer had been identified from those tapes.
Mr. Webster’s killing was the sixth homicide to occur in the Cayman Islands so far this year. Last year saw seven killings in Cayman, the most on record for the Islands.