Nokia recalls phones

Finnish mobile phone maker Nokia Corp. Monday said it has started a programme under which consumers can exchange chargers, which risk causing electric shocks, for free replacements.

The Nokia-branded chargers, which are manufactured by a third-party supplier, so far haven’t caused any incidents or injuries, the handset maker said.

Nokia press spokesman Thomas Jonsson said that about 14 million chargers may be replaced under the program. The supplier, Chinese-based BYD, will take the economic consequences of the exchange program, he said, but added that it is yet too early to estimate the costs.

Nokia said the chargers’ plastic cover may come loose, thus exposing the internal components and potentially causing electric shocks when the charger is plugged into a live socket. The company identified the potential problem during a routine quality control.

The chargers are the AC-3E and AC-3U models, manufactured between 15 June and 9 August, 2009, and the AC-4U model, manufactured between 13 April and 25 October, 2009.

0
0

NO COMMENTS