Carter sets the Digicel tone

The brilliant performance of national representative Rene Carter in scoring both goals against Sunset at the Ed Bush Stadium last Sunday was all defending champions Elite needed to advance to the semi-finals of the Digicel Cup.

The next round of the Cayman Islands Football Association Digicel Cup is scheduled for 10 January at the TE McField Sports Complex in George Town.

The game ended 2-0 and the goals were scored in the 36th and 75th minute, the first from a penalty.

In the other games Roma lost to George 4-2 on penalties, Tigers dismissed Future SC 3-2 and Bodden Town stopped Scholars International 2-1.

At the end of the game an elated technical director Gregory Ebanks said: ‘Elite Sports Club is very happy to move on to the semi-finals.

‘We will not allow ourselves to settle for anything less than number one, and if we don’t be honest with our goals we will be cheating ourselves.’

Over in Bodden Town Roma gave George Town a hard fight. It was player/coach Phillip Gayle who scored a classic goal in the 16th minute to give Roma the lead.

In the second half George Town came out with a different game plan and in the 55th minute ace forward Tex Whitlock levelled. Five minutes later George Town were smiling when newlywed David ‘Starkey’ Harding scored.

Roma levelled through Dwayne Wright in the 90th minute. Referee Nolan Foster took the game into extra time.

In the 97th minute Roma were on top again this time from a goal scored by Marlon Donk. As the minutes ticked by Leighton Elliott netted in the 117 minute to draw level again and George Town prevailed.

Bodden Town were lucky against Scholars International after playing to a 0-0 score line in the first half. In the 73rd minute Fabian Malcolm netted the first goal to give Scholars International the confidence of going forward. This was short-lived as in the 93rd minute a defensive error caused an own goal to be scored by a Scholars International defender.

It went into extra time and in the 120th minute Gerome Graham netted the all important goal to dismiss last season’s beaten finalist from the competition.

Tigers FC had to struggle hard to keep Future SC out of the next phase as well. Tigers after scoring in the 36th minute held on to the lead until Andre McFarlane equalized for Future in the 84th minute sending this game into extra time.

Manilo Connolly took the score to 2-1 in the 100th minute but Future’s captain and midfielder Deon Brandon did not play dead and wiped out that score in the 110th minute.

Two minutes later Tiger’s striker Jose Luis Bush was on target and netted the goal of the evening to place his team in the semis.