Mclaughlin-Martinez re-trial set

Bail refused meanwhile

William McLaughlin-Martinez had his
application for bail refused on Monday by Grand Court Justice Algernon Smith.

Justice Smith said there could be
no doubt murder is at the top of the list of serious offences. If convicted,
the defendant was liable to be sentenced to life imprisonment, so there would
be a strong incentive for him to be absent. The judge said he was satisfied
that if released on bail, McLaughlin-Martinez would fail to surrender for his
trial.

Defence Attorney Nicholas Dixey
advised that his client was electing trial by jury. Crown Counsel Tanya Lobban
said the agreed date for the trial is 17 January, 2011.

McLaughlin-Martinez was found
guilty in July 2009 of murdering Brian Rankine Carter in May 2008 in the
McField Lane area of George Town. That verdict was appealed. This year, the
Cayman Islands Court of Appeal agreed that the jury had been misdirected by the
trial judge and ordered a re-trial.

Mr. Dixey made the bail application
on Friday, and Ms Lobban spoke against it.