Pirates plunder CIBC’S treasure

The hockey game between the BDO
Pirates and the CIBC Islanders was a close game from start to finish, with the
BDO Pirates hanging on in the end for the 3-2 win at the King’s Sports Centre.
All lines played well in the game with both sides getting some great chances,
and both goalies making some great saves. In the second period, the BDO Pirates
were caught for having too many men on the floor, giving the CIBC Islanders the
only power play of the game. Unfortunately for the Pirates, the Islanders came
through, scoring near the end of their power play.

For the BDO Pirates, Paul Arbo was
the difference, scoring two goals at close range. He was able to position
himself in front of the net to create a screen for the Islanders goalie, and
find the loose balls to capitalize. It was determined that he never had once
scored two goals in the game, and his teammates wanted to present him with the
ball to put in his trophy case.

Glenn Mitchell, a career goalie
himself, put the BDO Pirates up 1-0 with a great rush down the left wing and
fired a wrist shot in the top corner of the net.

The late match-up of the night
featured the LoneStar Barracudas and the Deloitte Devil Rays. Heading into the
game both teams were tied with two points each with the Devil Rays having a
game in hand. The Devil Rays used a solid forecheck on the Barracuda’s defence
to earn a 2-1 half time lead with both goals by the former Barracuda Ryan
McGuire. Rob Leadbetter responded for the Barracudas. Ryan Vanderwal, the
Barracuda’s goalie was solid in net with the Devil Rays firing from all angles.
Early in the second half the Barracudas tied the game with a goal by Rob Seward
but the Devil Rays responded quickly to regain the lead with a goal by Michael
Hall. The Devil Rays up 3-2 with 15 minutes remaining relinquished the lead
once again with a goal by Andrew Finlason set up nicely by Seward for his
second point of the night. Ten minutes later on a set play face-off deep in the
Rays’ zone, Dan Allard won a clean draw to Darryl Hather to one time the winner
with Mark Thompson screening the Devil Rays goaltender Serge Berube. The Rays
pushed hard for an equaliser with their tender pulled but the Barracudas held
on for the 4-3 win to set up what should be a great rematch on 10 November.

Comments are closed.