Power outage cripples Grand Cayman

Retailers kept their doors locked to business and police officers directed traffic on Grand Cayman Wednesday morning when a power outage gripped the island. 

Power went out about 6.30am, knocking out electricity from East End to West Bay and everywhere in between on the largest of the three of the Cayman Islands.  

A representative for Caribbean Utilities Company, the lone electricity provider for more than 26,000 commercial and residential customers on Grand Cayman, said the cause of the outage was traced to a “fault at the West Bay substation, which affected the entire system”. 

Portions of the capital city of George Town and the more densely populated areas in the western part of the island had power restored by late morning, as did sections of Bodden Town and North Side. However, other areas of downtown remained without electricity at midday, as did other customers in districts islandwide. 

“Restoration of power has started in a part of the South Sound and George Town areas and power will be restored to additional customers in a phased manner in order to maintain system stability,” said Pat Bynoe-Clarke, spokeswoman for CUC. “We expect that all customers will have electricity by the end of today [Wednesday].” 

Further information was not immediately available. 

Vital services throughout Grand Cayman, including hospitals and air transportation, were said to be working relatively smoothly on backup generators throughout the ordeal. But for many businesses, including those without adequate alternative power sources, the morning was lost as they told employees to stay home and their doors remained closed. 

Post offices throughout Grand Cayman remained closed at midday, while the Department of Immigration was open, but operating at 
limited capacity. 

The backup generator at the Foster’s Food Fair IGA near the airport failed leaving customers and employees in the dark.  

Woody Foster, managing director of Foster’s Food Fair, said staff locked the doors at the store to stop additional customers from entering. He said rumours of looting at the store were untrue. Staff inside the grocery store allowed customers to leave when they wanted and continued to serve those who were shopping.  

Planes were seen taking off and landing throughout the morning, but attempts to reach the Cayman Islands Airports Authority for comment on operations were unsuccessful. A customer service representative at Cayman Airways reached by telephone said the national flag carrier’s flight schedule for Wednesday had not been affected. 

Meantime, attempts to reach the Health Services Authority, which operates the government-run Cayman Islands Hospital in George Town, were also unsuccessful. But Ansal Balbontin, an employee in the records department at privately-run Chrissie Tomlinson Memorial Hospital in George Town, said Wednesday morning that the facility had all departments operational. 

Animal House Assistant Manager Patrick Boone said the North Sound Road location of the pet store had a backup generator and so was not affected by the blackout. However, Mr. Boone said the Countryside location of the store did not have a generator and so would not be able to open while power was off. 

With no power at the court house, a sign on the front door directed people to the parking lot side, where court marshals advised them where to go. Magistrate Kirsty-Ann Gunn presided over her list in Court 5 on the second floor of Kirk House, where a bank of windows let in sufficient light for people to see. The magistrate had a battery-operated lamp on her desk. 

Magistrate Valdis Foldats conducted Traffic Court and another criminal court in a room on the ground floor of the court house, where large windows gave sufficient light for him to adjourn cases and mark files accordingly. 

No inmates were brought down from Northward Prison. At noon, court staff were still on standby for another Summary Court to open at 2pm. The Court of Appeal also was scheduled to sit in the afternoon if the building had power by that time. 

Throughout George Town business and commerce were affected by Wednesday’s all Island power outage in Grand Cayman. With Kirk Freeport and other duty free stores around the Capital closed. The closures also affected restaurants and well frequented coffee shops. Though Arabus clothing store was one of the few retailers that were open for business. 

The court house was also abuzz with curiosity and shuffling, as people showed up for court and had to head to the back of the building to find out what was happening with their cases. Judges, as well as court staff migrated into the street to avoid the heat inside of the buildings, while converging in the streets to discuss the Wednesday’s anomaly. 

Prison Director Dwight Scott gave some insight into how the prison was affected by the outage. 

“We have two generators, which kicked in within minutes; one of these went out briefly but the other picked right up and it was quite seamless. We informed police immediately, as is the case whenever we loose for power for any period of time. 

“There are also standby generators on the grounds that can be accessed if all else fails and we need to light the perimeter.” 

West Bay CUC

CUC workers at the West Bay substation Wednesday morning. Photo: Jeff Brammer


  1. Presumably, they are there to fix the problem which originated at that substation. At least two have hard hats on and all have reflective vests on suggesting they are not clerical workers. Get off your btt and get to work.

Comments are closed.