CML boosted by Rowe’s arrival

CML Claymores pulled off the most eye catching result in the Heineken Sunday League last weekend against an in form Maples Revolution.

Maples were riding high after a resounding victory last weekend, but resurgent CML claimed their third win of the season, already equaling the number of wins gathered from the whole of last season.

CML recruited well in the summer and brought in striker Kirk Rowe, who along with CML’s main striker Rapha Harvey tormented the Maples defence by scoring two goals apiece.

Maples’ Ben Hooper did briefly rally his team mates when he scored to make it 3-1 but it was too late for the Revolution. The final 4-1 result brought great satisfaction to stand in gaffer, Scotsman Ian Gow, who was calling the shots from the touch line in the absence of the regular managerial duo of McIntosh and Turrell.

The other game at the TE McField Annex was between Shellaz FC and league leaders Latitude 19 Boca Juniors.

Boca striker Henry Mitchell claimed a hat-trick as his side held off Shellaz for a 3-2 win. Mitchell had twice put his side ahead only for Shellaz to equalise twice through McDonald and a Hydes penalty kick before half–time. But Mitchell hit the winner in the second half to keep Boca on top of the league by a point.

At the Ed Bush stadium in West Bay it was a closely fought contest between Harry’s FC and Triple Crown Wanderers. Harry’s took the lead through captain Chris Fenn after three minutes. Wanderers’ equalised through Podge Brosnan at a corner kick soon after and a Dias cross found Marc Brown who headed home for a 2-1 lead at the break for Wanderers which they held on to for victory.

The other match at Ed Bush was between Agua and Old Boys and it was a close encounter up until half time, after which the Old Boys’ legs started to tire. The first goal arrived for Agua thanks to Stefan Kormos but Old Boys fought back and equalised when Tommy Gribbon knocked the ball home, his side’s first goal of the season.

Agua restored their lead four minutes later through Edward Richards but credit to Old Boys who equalised again to make it 2-2 thanks to Carlos Silder.

Dan Cummings then scored to give Agua a 3-2 half-time lead. A minute after the break the game was effectively over for the Old Boys when Luciano De Riso made it 4-2, followed up by further goals for Gary Mullings and Ian Commins.

Old Boys scored right on full-time when veteran striker George McKenzie curled an exquisite free-kick around the wall to finish an entertaining game at 7-3.

Comments are closed.