Acker is not ready to abdicate

Marius Acker may be 41 and king of local triathlons but he does not look like slowing down just yet. It seems 2013 is going to be another triumphant year.

In fact, like fellow triathlete Chris Sutton who turned 60 on the day of the Cayman Islands Intertrust Marathon a month ago, Acker seems fitter than ever.

The South African banker prides himself on his fitness and adherence to a healthy lifestyle. So if he is not training for one of the three triathlon disciplines of swimming, biking and running, tennis is another sporting passion as well as kitesurfing.

Acker was happy to regain his Cayman Islands Intertrust Half Marathon title in a time of 1 hour 19 minutes 30 seconds, ahead of second placed Jason Saunders who won it the previous year.

It seems that as he gets older, only waking up is his biggest problem. Acker was fourth in the 2011 half although he ran the fastest 13.1 mile race, but he started a few minutes late because he overslept.

To ensure there was no repeat this time he hired a marching band complete with horns, drums, cymbals and trumpets to play outside his house at the appointed time. The race went according to script with Saunders 2 minutes and 29 seconds behind.

“It was a tactical race until about half way,” Acker said. “We were on record breaking pace until half way but I wasn’t fit enough to sustain it so I was happy just to win.

“This one was much harder. It’s becoming more competitive. The experience is always great. It’s such a blur, goes by so quickly.

“The most memorable part was at half way when I pushed to break because I wasn’t sure when and where I would break him.

“My next event is the Miami Marathon over the last weekend in January. It’s one that I do every year.”

The much improved Dominic Corbin finished the half in 1:23:32, a seven minute improvement on last year to come third. “Maybe next year I’ll be seven minutes quicker,” he joked. “This year I was running my own race for the first and in the first ten miles I was holding back a lot and in the last few miles I was trying to catch up.

“Maybe next year I’ll try to stick with the front group.

“I’ll probably do the Jingle Bell run this weekend but I’ve got a massive blister on my foot. My next serious race is likely to be the Valentine’s Mile Run in February. “The short distances are my forte. I want to improve my times on the shorter distances and work up to the longer ones.”

Claire Critchley was the first female home in the half, finishing 13th in 1:34:08.

Chadwick Webster was fourth, Mark Hogan fifth, Neil Coleman was next, then Christophe Alexandre, Conrad Proud, Erik Suderland, Johan Heath, Greg Meaker and David Dyer twelfth.

Acker had another glorious year, remaining undefeated local champion in the Cayman Islands Triathlon in November, his seventh, which was easily the toughest.

Fellow South African Johan Heath has been steadily improving and closing the gap in recent years and predictions were this could produce the tightest finish ever from the start at Public Beach 
on West Bay Road.

And sure enough it was, only Acker prevailed, as always, by overhauling Heath on the final leg, the run. Had Heath not competed in a full Ironman a week earlier, then the outcome may have been different.

Nevertheless, Acker kept bragging rights for another 12 months at least.

Acker finished the Olympic distance in 2 hours 09 minutes 32 seconds. Arwen Lawson was first female home in 2:35:18. In the sprint distance, Darren Mew took the title with a time of 1:12:59 and first female finisher was Gill Comins with 1:17:28. First team to finish was tRICS in 2:05:51.

Heath, 32, finished in 2:14:32 with Dean Gaffigan third in 2:21:26 and Greg Meaker fourth 11 seconds behind. Then came JP Hanekeom (2:22:08) followed by Marius Deysel (2:25:05).

Props went to the vets in the Olympic distance of 1,500m swim, 40km bike and 10km run. Chris Sutton, a few weeks short of his 60th birthday was ninth and Rodger Yeomans, oldest in the field at 64, was 41st of the 51 entrants.

Acker was justifiably proud of retaining the crown considering he was not 100 per cent right up to the 6.45am start.

“This was the worst preparation going into the Cayman Triathlon for me to date as I was fighting a virus infection for three weeks leading into this race,” he said.

“I adjusted my training by lowering intensity and reducing endurance sessions to allow my body to fight the infection.

“Monday prior to the race I woke up with swollen glands and was not feeling well. The doctor prescribed antibiotics. The medication had some side effects and I had diarrhoea all week leading up to the race, including Sunday morning before the race.

“It was a victory for me to get to the start and be able to have an attempt to defend this title. God answered my prayers to allow me to start this race and to have the strength to complete it.

“Going into the race I had no idea if my body would hold up especially in the latter stages when you become fatigued.

“Sunday was a great race and Heath changed tactics this year by opting to draft behind me on the swim and reserve his energy for the bike. Great tactics which paid dividends for him as he got out of the water with me. In 2011 he was 40 seconds behind me after the swim leg.

“My aim for the swim leg was to get out of the water with Johan. I knew beforehand that my lead in the swim leg would be wiped out by him as I broke my right arm about four months ago.

“The bike leg went well and the four lap course suited me as I could track who was where due to the many turns. Though the bike gap increased all the time I was mindful of the fact that Heath did a Miami race leading into this event and that he would suffer on the run.

“The commentator, Trevor Murphy, mentioned that I was 4 minutes 45 seconds behind when I started running. I had already decided on the bike leg that I would focus on the race itself and not think about how far I was behind.

“I was focusing on enjoying the race and not on what the outcome would be. It became evident to me at the half way stage of the run that catching the leader was a possibility and I eventually took the lead before the start of the final fourth lap.”

So is Acker slowing or is Heath getting faster? “This year was by far my quickest run of the seven triathlons I’ve done in Cayman and my time was five seconds quicker than last year,” Acker said. “Heath’s time was slower than the previous two years when he competed.”

Whatever happens this year, barring injury or illness, Acker looks set to dominate the local triathlon scene again.