There are currently only three working garbage collection trucks on Grand Cayman picking up household rubbish of all five districts on Grand Cayman, Premier Juliana O’Connor-Connolly revealed Thursday.
During normal service, there are between six and eight trash trucks on the road.
Rubbish collections are down to just once a week throughout the districts because the rest of the other rubbish trucks are off the road due to maintenance issues.
Describing the Department of Environmental Health, which runs the island’s solid waste collection and disposal, as being “very dire circumstances”, Ms O’Connor-Connolly said she had instructed her acting chief officer Leyda Nicholson-Coe to use funds usually set aside to offset depreciation of vehicles to buy two new collection trucks.
In the meantime, she said, “Plan B” would go into effect, using available dump trucks to do collections.
“I’m asking the public to just have a little more patience as we try to get back on track with it,” said the premier.
She said normal twice-a-week garbage collection services were expected to start to resume by the end of next week, “subject to the trucks remaining functional”.
For the first time since the government announced last month that garbage pick-ups would be reduced from twice a week to once a week, a schedule of pick ups has been made available, which Ms O’Connor-Connolly read out at a weekly government press briefing on Thursday.
The immediately scheduled pick-ups are as follows: Thursday, 7 February: most areas of West Bay and George Town areas; Friday, 8 February: Northward area, North Sound Estates, Savannah, Bodden Town, East End, North Side, Prospect, South Sound and Crewe Road in George Town; Saturday, 9 February: any outstanding residential areas island wide.