Stamma triggers Agua downfall

The match-of-the-day at the weekend in the Heineken Sunday League was between the top two sides, Triple Crown Wanderers and Agua in a thriller.

Wanderers made the brighter start at the TE McField Annex and pulled ahead after nine minutes through striker Kiegel ‘Stamma’ Atkinson.

Wanderers went further ahead through Marc Brown in the 27th minute when his terrific 25-yard shot surprised the Agua keeper.

Two minutes later Wanderers’ Ricoh Brown was played through and with a defender breathing down his neck he expertly lobbed the advancing keeper for a 3-0 half-time lead.

The Wanderers’ clean-sheet in the first-half was, in the main down to two fantastic saves from their goalkeeper Juschtzak.

Four minutes after the break Wanderers effectively sealed victory when Marc Brown got his head to a corner to crash home his second and his side’s fourth to return them to top spot.

The second match at the TE McField Annex between CML Claymores and Latitude 19 Boca Juniors was dominated by Henry Mitchell as the Boca striker claimed all four goals in their 4-1 victory.

Mitchell scored in the fifth minute then again seven minutes later. CML player-manager Steve McIntosh did reduce the deficit on 27 minutes but the parity was restored two minutes later when Mitchell claimed a first-half hat-trick.

CML passed up at least two golden opportunities to bring themselves back into the match but the game was made safe for Boca when Mitchell once again finished off a move for his fourth.

At the Ed Bush stadium in West Bay, windy conditions again had an effect.

First game was between last season’s champion’s Harry’s and bottom of the table Old Boys. Although Harry’s won it was hard work. Old Boys scored first through Patrick Gorham. After the restart, Harry’s striker Floyd ‘Irons’ McKenzie levelled after five minutes only for the Old Boys to retake the lead thanks to some fine inter-play and off the ball running which resulted in Primo Castellan’s strike.

Then with 20 minutes remaining Harry’s equalised through a Manuel Gutierrez header and then took the lead for the first time from a 30-yard Chris Fenn strike. Harry’s got a last minute goal through McKenzie to win 4-2 score which moves them over Agua in the standings and into second place.

The last game of the weekend saw Shellaz unable to take advantage of the wind blowing in their favour in a scoreless first half against Maples Revolution.

After the interval Maples created a host of chances, twice hitting the bar and finding a way past the Shellaz keeper on two occasions.

The first was a fortuitous goal scored directly from a wind assisted, in-swing corner from Shane Delaney after 56 minutes.

Five minutes later Scotsman Fran Donohue was left unmarked in front of goal, allowing him to control a Dave Holland to score.

Mitchell’s four goals take his season’s tally to 12 to lead in the Sunday League’s Golden Boot Award.

Comments are closed.